Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by El_limitless »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a fantasy/science fiction novel written by Matthew Tysz. The book started with a wise and wicked king who discovered the secret plan of his four sons to parcel his continent equally amongst themselves once he is overthrown. He decided to place them in charge of four islands, and as envisaged by the king, his four sons got into a conflict over who will take the four islands to himself.

Galen goes in search of a quiet and adventurous life in the city or Voulhire. He got fed up with the constant wars on the Islands. He had become one of the major targets of the war due to his significant contribution to the economy of one of the islands. Following his late uncle's dying wish that he be found and should take over his legacy, he got on a ship to Voulhire. He needed to get away from the wars back home. Voulhire promises so much beauty and adventure. Will Galen find the city of Voulhire to be as beautiful and as adventurous as he thought it would be, or will he be disappointed? Find out by reading this intriguing story.

The book has a lot of positive points. The author's writing style is brilliant. The book was written from the first-person point of view and the third person point of view. That made it all the more enjoyable. The author was detailed in his description of different events, venues and characters. The reader could visualise the things described.

The book also has a few negative points. I didn't fully appreciate the progression of the story. The sequence of the story could have been better arranged. I couldn't find the connection between different parts of the story as I read. In essence, the story had different parts in isolation. But that's understandable, being that this is probably the first of a series. Perhaps the much-needed connection between events will come in the subsequent books under the series.

The book was exceptionally well-edited. I found no spelling or grammatical error in it. Consequently, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't give the book a lower rating because it was interesting to read, and I enjoyed every part of it.

The book contains a few graphic images, especially where some characters were killed at the beginning of the book and towards the end. I wouldn't advise children to read this book.

I recommend this book to lovers of science fiction and fantasy novels. I also recommend it to people who love to read the historical background of ancient cities, wars and kings.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

yay! we read the same book at the same time! 😃
I agree with your advice. The killing scenes were too much for me, honestly. 😅
I'll miss all the characters in this book.
Thank you for your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

I agree with some of your points.
Thank you for your review!
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I read the book too and enjoyed it. I also agree with your analysis of the book. Thanks for the detailed review.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It's an ok book but I find it important for a better climax to be present. Also, the details provided seem tiring in some parts. Thanks for a great review!
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

It sounds like the wise and wicked king had predictable and wicked sons. Thank you for your take on this first installment of the series!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

I've enjoyed the books in this series and this was definitely a good one for me. Great review!
Erin Dydek
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

It’s been awhile since I’ve read this book. I think I’d enjoy reading it again and getting back into the series…I think it’s up to five or six books now!
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

This is a very popular series and I think you'll find that this book does a lot of groundwork for the sequels. Although some parts my seem disjointed, I promise it will all begin to fall into place.
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

This book appears to be quite entertaining with elements of science fiction mixed into premise of Kings and the struggle for future successor for his throne. Thanks for your honest and insightful review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree that the author has a talent for describing scenes and settings. This first book presents a cast of characters that will be key in the series. Thanks for your insights on this series!
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

El_limitless wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 07:12 [Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galen goes in search of a quiet and adventurous life in the city or Voulhire. He got fed up with the constant wars on the Islands. He had become one of the major targets of the war due to his significant contribution to the economy of one of the islands. Following his late uncle's dying wish that he be found and should take over his legacy, he got on a ship to Voulhire. He needed to get away from the wars back home. Voulhire promises so much beauty and adventure. Will Galen find the city of Voulhire to be as beautiful and as adventurous as he thought it would be, or will he be disappointed? Find out by reading this intriguing story.

The book has a lot of positive points. The author's writing style is brilliant. The book was written from the first-person point of view and the third person point of view. That made it all the more enjoyable. The author was detailed in his description of different events, venues and characters. The reader could visualise the things described.

The book was exceptionally well-edited. I found no spelling or grammatical error in it. Consequently, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't give the book a lower rating because it was interesting to read, and I enjoyed every part of it.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Good review.Nice Summary.I could definitely add this one to my bookshelf.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”