Review of The Pro-Achievement Principle

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Review of The Pro-Achievement Principle

Post by Unsullied »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Pro-Achievement Principle" by Dr. Deborah Bright.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Before you become a leader, success is all about growing yourself, after you become a leader,success is about growing others." This famous quote forms the rationale behind the writing of the book, The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah S. Bright. The book is about not only about growing oneself as a leader but also about finding a strategy to make those around us grow. It is a step by step introduction to the principle of Pro Achievement and how vital it is to the performances of people, especially in the work place. The book is a non-fiction and the first in a series known as the Pro-Achievement series.

The author identifies several issues of concern and classifies them into lessons which she goes ahead to discuss in depth. She talks about issues ranging from the difference between responsibility and responsibleness to the tenets if Pro-Achievers principle. She compares several attitudes and personalities in an organization and clearly elaborates the difference between these personalities, and what value each of them adds. She also gives a guide to leaders on how to promote these principles in themselves first, then to the people they lead, and get the best out of these people.

I absolutely loved this book. I rarely finish reading books in one sitting like I did for this one. It was captivating yet short and precise. The ideas the author put across were applicable and real. As a young person just getting into the job market, the exposure this book gave me was immense. I had the opportunity to evaluate myself through eyes of a potential employer. Deborah has a way with words and it impacts the mindset. The language she used was simple, friendly and easy to understand. The editing was also done professionally as I did not find any errors.

The only issue I had with the book was that of principle. I did not like the writers portrayal of who overachievers, optimists and perfectionists are. She actually says that these people should not be considered for leadership positions especially for teams. While she has a right to share her opinion on that, I believe these are some of the most productive people who make real change in organizations and therefore should not be completely thrown out like she did. She may have had good reasons to do that but I am far from convinced about them.

I give the book a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It was well written, professionally edited and insightful. I would recommend it to all leaders and aspiring leaders. Deborah says that everyone is a leader i some capacity and I agree. I'd therefore recommend the book to every avid reader.

The Pro-Achievement Principle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Gemjay »

This review is amazing and the book seems educative. The author seems to enlighten the reader on matters concerning leadership and responsibility.
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Post by Miriam nkere »

Yes I totally agree with the author leadership is it just growing yourself but more of growing your followers. Good review and a great book
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I like that the author stressed that great leaders find success in growing others. I appreciate that the book made you see yourself from an employer's perspective.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:

Post by Unsullied »

Gemjay wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 08:42 This review is amazing and the book seems educative. The author seems to enlighten the reader on matters concerning leadership and responsibility.
It is so enlightening for sure. Thank you for commenting.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:

Post by Unsullied »

Miriam nkere wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 10:33 Yes I totally agree with the author leadership is it just growing yourself but more of growing your followers. Good review and a great book
Thank you for your views Miriam.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Grow as a leader then help others grow. It's sounds like a good idea written in a concise manner. Thank you for a great review!
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I like that the author has made this book (and perhaps all the installments) captivating yet short and precise. It’s nice to be able to complete a concise book and put it to use right away. Thank you for your take on this read.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love reading you concise and revealing review. I fully agree with you about overachievers and perfectionists! The American culture is centered about them and presents this kind of people as a inspiration model, which is a wrong approach.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:

Post by Unsullied »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 01:49 I love reading you concise and revealing review. I fully agree with you about overachievers and perfectionists! The American culture is centered about them and presents this kind of people as a inspiration model, which is a wrong approach.
Thanks for passing by Raluca.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:

Post by Unsullied »

MsH2k wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 01:00 I like that the author has made this book (and perhaps all the installments) captivating yet short and precise. It’s nice to be able to complete a concise book and put it to use right away. Thank you for your take on this read.
I also loved the fact that it was a quick read. The Author called it a BIZLET. Thank you for passing by MsH2k.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I just reviewed a book with a similar theme to this.
I agree that some opinions by these "achievers" do not necessarily apply to all people.
Thanks for the review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Unsullied
Currently Reading:

Post by Unsullied »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 09:31 I just reviewed a book with a similar theme to this.
I agree that some opinions by these "achievers" do not necessarily apply to all people.
Thanks for the review.
Thank you Jane for passing by.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

This seems like an interesting book. I would love to read it. Great review.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This book has piqued my interest. I would love to know about the employer's perspective, as it can help one understand things better and make one a better employee. Thanks for the thorough review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”