Review of Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
teacherjh
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress

Post by teacherjh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress a Practical Guide by Gustavo Kinrys, M.D. and Alexandra Gold, M.A. is an extensive overview of the effects of stress and how to relive it without pharmaceutical medications.

The book begins with a thorough explanation of anxiety disorders. It covers the symptoms and the health problems related to anxiety. Some of the symptoms were unexpected such as a pale complexion due to reduced blood flow and shaking caused by tense muscles. This is followed by a chapter about how most doctors prescribe medication for anxiety. This can be a problem because it only treats and covers up the symptoms. Also, some of those medications can be addictive. The authors also discuss how stress and fear affect the body. Cognitive-behavioral therapy is suggested as a treatment. It involves finding and fixing distortions in the patient’s thinking. The rest of the book describes many nutrient-based and herbal-based remedies as well as natural remedies such as breathing exercises and yoga. All of this information is then summarized in clear, easy-to-read charts in the appendices.

The authors do a great job of defining stress and anxiety as well as explaining their effects. I appreciated the extensive explanation of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I think this is a strategy that can be very helpful in building a more positive thinking process. Reading through the long list of nutrients and herbs dragged a bit, but it is a great reference for anyone wanting to look up information on certain ones. I appreciate that the authors included possible side effects and warnings about who should not take certain substances. They obviously did a lot of research for the book. The most surprising therapy described was using virtual reality to simulate something the patient fears and desensitizing them to it. I cannot imagine facing a three-dimensional image of a spider crawling on me. No thanks to that one for me.

I only had two complaints about this book. First of all, the preface and the introduction are repetitive. The first paragraphs of each one are almost word for word the same. Also, the authors often refer to research studies on various herbs and treatments, but they do not cite the studies. It would have been helpful to have a link to these in a footnote or in an appendix.

The book was well edited. I only found two errors. I highly recommend this book as a resource for anyone trying to reduce anxiety and stress in their lives. I have personally used CBT and the tapping technique. They are very effective. I did not find much change with aromatherapy, but I am considering acupuncture. Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I had a few small qualms with it, but they were not enough to take away a whole star. It is clearly written and detailed. I plan to keep this book to refer back to as I continue to incorporate natural healing into my own life.

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Ellylion »

Should be a great read to those plagued with anxiety, I personally am well aware that it's not a joke. Would love to check the book out. Thank you for an insightful review!
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Kaylie's Forgotten Birthday- children's book by Kimberly Shelton-Porter

Post by Emily_Jen »

This book contains intricacies about anxiety and stress and provides a practical solution to them. I can't stress how important this book can be in modern day. I would definitely be reading this one. Thanks for the review.
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by NISSE »

This seems to be a great addition to the stress and anxiety related books that are out there. Great review!
MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: God's Clear Voice by Anthony Mark Ortiz

Post by MsH2k »

This does seem like a good reference book to hold on to. The authors included a lot information, and it was organized well. Thank you for your thorough and engaging review! :balloon:
"Always be a first-rate version of yourself instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."
Judy Garland

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”