Review by Kanchan Sharma -- How To Be Successful

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Review by Kanchan Sharma -- How To Be Successful

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

[Following is a volunteer review of "How To Be Successful" by M. Curtis McCoy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How to be successful by M. Curtis McCoy is a self-help book. Looking at the 27 chapters in the index, it looks like that it is a long book, but one can finish the book in one go. The write-up is simple and easy to understand. For anyone who is looking for personal or professional growth, it is a wonderful book.

The writer has taken up many factors that an individual can self-check, like the most common belief, which most unsuccessful people hold on to is an excuse. People hold others responsible for their failure. When anyone keeps blaming the outside world, he can never grow in any field. He puts a question to the reader to find out his excuse. He says that when we start looking beyond excuses, there are always opportunities to rectify our flaws. We have to keep an eye on the opportunities that come our way. We have to remain focused on our goals. He proposes not to help anyone till the time the other person is ready to receive it.

The author has taken interviews of some successful people and asked them the same set of questions. When we try to go through all the answers of those people, we will be surprised to know that most successful people think alike and have a positive outlook for life. For example, most of them look for honesty, loyalty, integrity, courage, compassion, etc. in others. They are self-motivated and self-disciplined. They are go-getters and value the importance of time. They read books to improve themselves. The most important characteristic which they all have; a non-quitting attitude. They never give up and believe in moving on.

There are a lot of positive points in the book. The writer has discussed most of the things we need to do to help ourselves. He doesn’t appreciate the idea of taking ownership of any misfortunes that have happened in our life. It drains us emotionally. He suggests giving small rewards to ourselves after achieving each goal. One should be careful about his appearance and always dress up smartly. Time management is very important.

There is nothing negative about the book. It is a motivational book. The book is professionally edited. There is no profanity used in the book. I would give the book 4 out of 4 stars. The writer has discussed almost everything that anyone may be looking for self-growth. I would say it is a perfect recipe for success. One must try at least once.

The audience of this book can be anyone above the age of 15. It’s a good book for teenagers also, even if a single idea gets into a child’s brain, it will be helpful for him throughout his life. Other people can check what is the constraint that is stopping them from being successful.

How To Be Successful
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I read this book a while ago and I too loved the content of time management and interviews. The interviewees' non-quitting attitude was indeed motivational to read. Thanks for your great review of this work!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a wonderful self-help book. I love that the author reminds people that they need to find the excuse that they use and overcome it. That is great advice. I know several people who always blame others for their misfortunes. Thanks for a great review!
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

This book seems motivating. I like that the author inspires the reader that nothing is a stumbling block to people who wants to live a successful life. Thanks for the captivating review.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

I reviewed this book and absolutely loved it. Glad you also did like it.
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I like that the author highlights the attributes of successful people and encourages readers to look within themselves to identify the excuses holding them back.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It is curious that successful people are similar in many ways. They all say, "Don't quit!" We should all heed that advice.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”