Review by Namaste23 -- Sock Lobsters by Michelle Bulriss

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Sock Lobsters by Michelle Bulriss

Review by Namaste23 -- Sock Lobsters by Michelle Bulriss

Post by Namaste23 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sock Lobsters" by Michelle Bulriss.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sock Lobsters, by Michelle Bulriss, is a cute and emotionally educational story for kids. It follows the sock lobsters, Lola, the right sock, and Sebastian, the left sock, from their creation through the drama that ensues in the book. The story also includes the following characters: a cat named Bubbles, Emily the sock owner, and Nonnie, Emily's grandmother and the creator of the lobster socks. As events unfold, the socks experience a myriad of feelings such as depression, denial, and anger. These emotions expose children to the names of feelings as well as how the sock lobsters process them.

I was immediately attracted to the book just by reading the title. Without even knowing what the book was about, I knew a book titled Sock Lobsters had to be a good story and I was not disappointed. The illustrations in the book are adorable as is the content. I especially liked the emotional aspect where kids can learn the five stages of grief in a fun way where everything works out okay.

There wasn't anything that I didn't like about this book. It took an emotional process, simplified it, and named it so that kids can easily understand it. They can relate to the feelings of the sock lobsters and be able to name the feelings that they experience themselves. It also shows that after you go through the array of emotions and get to acceptance, you can reframe your thinking to move on to hopefully find a productive solution as shown in the book.

The audience for this book is children. I don't think there is any age limit for this book. Although the illustrations and the simplicity of the book seem to target younger children, older children and even some adults would benefit from the content.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There aren't any spelling or grammar errors and the book reads smoothly and easily. I think the author achieved her goal with this book. It helps children understand emotions in a fun and creative way.

Sock Lobsters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”