Review by C Janet -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
C Janet
2021 Reading Goal: 90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-janet.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review by C Janet -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by C Janet »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the first book in the We are Voulhire series. Matthew Tysz depicts three corners of a world. First we meet the Emperor of Lullabies. "A wise and wicked ruler of a vast and powerful nation." He had four sons, all with legitimate claims to his throne, and with desires to lead. To be sure they wouldn't team up and overthrow him, the emperor gave each of them a small chain of islands off the mainland of his empire, small armies, and plenty of weapons. He counted on them warring, which happened. He was left alone.
The Lands of the Princes is the second corner of this world. The four princes have been at war for years. That's where Galen Bray, our protagonist, was born and raised. Galen only ever knew survival, because in the Lands of the Princes, tomorrow might never come. We follow Galen's escape into Voulhire, the third corner ruled by King Wilhelm. Galen is wide-eyed and innocent, and his learning journey is also ours.
There are numerous characters that I cannot begin to touch on. Lord Eldus will show you just how much positive changes one good leader could bring. Then there's Lord Meldorath. With his mage magic, and the allies he has at his side, it looks like no one will ever be able to stop him from getting what he wants. Lord Meldorath and the Riva Rohavi, a group not unlike any terrorist group, are the villains in this story.
I liked the balance the writer was able to put the story into. Despite the story being told from multiple points of view, I enjoyed all the individual stories equally. I did not get that urge readers sometimes get, to jump forward to my favourite character's story. I commend Matthew Tysz for that. I rate We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies four out of four stars. It couldn't be anything less.
The only thing I disliked was how limited the information we got about magic was. We meet several magic users throughout the book. I would have liked to know how they come to be. Are magic users born into this unique world as magic users, or do all the people have the potential to learn magic? Is it too much to hope that somehow Galen learns magic in the second book? That last part is wishful thinking, of course.
I recommend this book to people who are out to learn new words while enjoying an interesting story. Why not kill two birds with one stone, right? When I started reading it, what came into my mind was 'big words'. Do you happen to know what curmudgeonly means? The book was also well-edited. I encountered only one minor error while reading. I also recommend it to those who love fantasy stories. Matthew Tysz did a wonderful job building this world. I did not even need the map therein, but it was a genius addition on his part. I do not recommend this book for a younger audience though. There is so much death and violence woven into the story.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mindful Wordsmith
2021 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: The Mysterious Affair at Styles
Currently Reading: The Loneliness of the Deep Space Cargoist
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindful-wordsmith.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Mindful Wordsmith »

This book is full of well-written characters and laudable world-building. It's written so well that even with so many characters in the story, I was able to easily follow the entire plot.
Thanks for writing this thorough review :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
C Janet
Currently Reading:

Post by C Janet »

Mindful Wordsmith wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 01:39 This book is full of well-written characters and laudable world-building. It's written so well that even with so many characters in the story, I was able to easily follow the entire plot.
Thanks for writing this thorough review :tiphat:
I totally agree. I enjoyed reading it so much. Thank you for stopping by!
Mtibza eM
2021 Reading Goal: 66
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Next Stage by Tom Wilson

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Mbrooks2518
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I really enjoyed this book when I read it too. Great review!
Dzejn_Crvena
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 1928
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I also have the same questions about the magical parts of the story.

When I mentioned about the biomages in my review, I was asked to provide what they do (and I'm like, "eh that's why I said I wanted to know more about them because I really don't know anything else 🤔")

I love how you include intro of how the world of Voulhire came to be.
Thanks for your detailed review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: The dark side of the fire by Ruben Elustondo

Post by Kennedy NC »

Sounds like a very intriguing plot. Great review.
Josephe-Anne
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading: OK
Bookshelf Size: 330
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I read this book myself, and I also read many reviews of it. I must say that yours is one of the most enjoyable! I really like how you set the scene in your summary, and your descriptions of Galen and Lord Meldorath are spot on. I agree that Matthew Tysz built a fabulous fantasy realm.

Thank you for another great review!
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
C Janet
Currently Reading:

Post by C Janet »

Mtibza eM wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 05:13 Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Thank you so much for stopping by!
C Janet
Currently Reading:

Post by C Janet »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 10:53 I really enjoyed this book when I read it too. Great review!
It is a great book. Thank you so much for stopping by!
C Janet
Currently Reading:

Post by C Janet »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 18:52 I also have the same questions about the magical parts of the story.

When I mentioned about the biomages in my review, I was asked to provide what they do (and I'm like, "eh that's why I said I wanted to know more about them because I really don't know anything else 🤔")

I love how you include intro of how the world of Voulhire came to be.
Thanks for your detailed review.
Haha, let's hope the other books tell us more. Thank you so much for stopping by, and for your kind words!
C Janet
Currently Reading:

Post by C Janet »

Kennedy NC wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 01:53 Sounds like a very intriguing plot. Great review.
It sure is! Thank you so much for stopping by!
C Janet
Currently Reading:

Post by C Janet »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 02:21 I read this book myself, and I also read many reviews of it. I must say that yours is one of the most enjoyable! I really like how you set the scene in your summary, and your descriptions of Galen and Lord Meldorath are spot on. I agree that Matthew Tysz built a fabulous fantasy realm.

Thank you for another great review!
:tiphat:
I loved writing this review, I'm so happy that you enjoyed reading it! Thank you so much for stopping by, and for your kind words!
Raluca_Mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Sod this for a Game of Soldiers: My Life in Conflict by Stephen Newman

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I am glad you enjoyed your first trip into the Voulhire universe!
Keep on reading and you will discover Tysz's unique magic rules. I found it quite interesting.
Nice review!
C Janet
Currently Reading:

Post by C Janet »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 09:03 I am glad you enjoyed your first trip into the Voulhire universe!
Keep on reading and you will discover Tysz's unique magic rules. I found it quite interesting.
Nice review!
I can't wait to read the rest of the books! Thank you so much for stopping by!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”