Review by Emily_Jen -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Review by Emily_Jen -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Emily_Jen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"…the king addressed me in a very personal manner. He told me that the good town of Hillport had lost two lords in a matter of months and that both of these lords were cut from different parts of an infectious cloth." The previous is an excerpt from Lord Eldus Alderman's statement to the people of Hilport. He had just been appointed by King Wilhelm as lord of Hillport to drive her to success.

However, there are speculations that a dangerous mage called Meldorath, Lord Eldus' predecessor, still lives. Meanwhile, the activities of the Riva Rohavi, enemies of Voulhire, appear to have ceased in recent times. Voulhire seems to be enjoying a lot of progress under King Wilhelm. How long will Voulhire's peace last, especially with the speculations surrounding Meldorath’s death and the recent emergence of the Riva Rohavi? Also, what would become of Galen, a young lad that is forced to flee his war-torn land to inherit his uncle’s forge in another land called Magnum Caelum? Would Lord Eldus achieve success in Hillport? Read We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz to find answers to the questions and more.

I can't think of anything to fault in this read. I gladly rate the novel 4 out of 4 stars. The first thing I appreciated in the book was the map that was included to explain the various parts of the country of Voulhire. Because of this, I had a clear mental picture of where each city was located relative to one another. I also liked that the author incorporated an air of uncertainty throughout the story, and I couldn’t tell what was going to happen next. Additionally, readers would be shocked at the outcome of the story in terms of the people that lost their lives and how they did.

The story is by no means a concluded one, as it ends on a cliffhanger, with so many questions unanswered. I look forward to reading the next publication of the series. Another thing I liked about this book is the character development. In addition to the dialogue that the author incorporated among the characters, each chapter was written in first-person narration, with at least one chapter committed to each important character. As a result, I felt like I was in the minds of the characters, which helped me understand them better. I particularly looked forward to the conversations between Galen and his executor, Rowan. Even if Rowan spoke with a lot of profanities, I found him to be full of humor, which, I believe, added positively to the story.

Readers that are interested in fiction books filled with action, mystery, and magic are encouraged to pick up this series. I don’t think they’d be disappointed. However, if you are a sensitive reader and are affected by profanities, I advise that you skip this one, as it contains such. Like I said before, this is a great read, and I found nothing to dislike about it. Moreover, the text is exceptionally edited since I found no errors throughout the volume. Happy reading!

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

The first-person and third-person narration is unique.
I haven't read anything like it.
Thank you for providing a spoiler-free review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
CGO
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by CGO »

This is a great book. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for your review.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

I have read different reviews of this publication of the ”we are voulhire” series but your review is exceptional. Thanks for a well written review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I read the book too and really enjoyed it. I agree with your analysis and think it deserves the rating as well. Amazing review!
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

Thanks for the wonderful review. I also found this book quite fascinating because it has a nice mix of both magic and mystery.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

The main characters seem intriguing and drive the story well. This is the first book in a long series that I am looking forward to reading. Great review.
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

I don't think Meldorath was dangerous. He was only so powerful that everyone wasv afraid of him. I enjoyed the book too. Nice review!
Ace John
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ace-john.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ace John »

You have an amazing and well-articulated review. I might consider this for my next read. Thanks for the review.
Jesus is Lord.
(Romans 10:9)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”