Review by Kristle Makoni -- The Devil Pulls the Strings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristle Makoni
Currently Reading: Black Victorians/Black Victoriana
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristle-makoni.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Review by Kristle Makoni -- The Devil Pulls the Strings

Post by Kristle Makoni »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Devil Pulls the Strings" by J. W. Zarek.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Devil Pulls the Strings gives the reader a tour into the fascinating world of folklore and secret societies. Based on the three most prominent compositions by Niccolò Paganini, the story follows the warrior bard Boone Daniels as he teams up with Sapphire, a music student and apprentice of Professor Stone as they try to fulfill a hundred-year-old prophecy. Boone and Sapphire are brought to assignment under Professor Wickhamby who instructs them to complete a number of life-threatening tasks including bringing together the three music pieces by Paganini. The two main ancient rival secret societies are both looking to possess the three pieces of Paganini’s compositions at whatever cost which is believed to have powers of summoning the Devil on a specific day under the moonlight. Which group will be successful?

Though the set is in modern-day New York City, the reader is given a tour into the past as Boone has various paranormal experiences and visions. He comes from a small-town Missouri and it’s his first time in New York. Despite struggling with his own personal demons he finds himself entangled in a century-old feud between secret societies and becomes an important piece in the puzzle.

I greatly enjoyed how the author describes the characters and scenes which spikes the reader's imagination. J. W. Zarek goes to full-lengths as he portrays the environment, costumes as well as the emotions that the characters are experiencing. Generally, the author is an amazing raconteur. He uses a great deal of rich vocabulary in his writing and each act is divided into chapters of focus which blends well into the story. There a several unexpected twists and turns coupled with time-traveling which contributes to the rich plot. The most surprising moment for me was the realization of who Sinti was.

I felt no negatives towards this great read. I loved the fact that the author puts great determination in mentioning the characteristics of the different ancient creatures, their behavior, and ways to appease them.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars as per the reasons given above and justice was done as the story was being concluded. One spelling error was noted. Nevertheless, the book was professionally edited.

This book is a great read for those fascinated by folklore tales and traditions as well as those that enjoy fictional art. It is engaging, entertaining and prompts one to research more on the creatures and monsters that are mentioned in the book.

The Devil Pulls the Strings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Secret societies, the devil and the past– Simply wonderful. I needed to google Paganini's music. The storyline sounds original. Thank you for a great review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds so adventurous. I love the idea of ancient feuds still holding on in modern times! Thanks for the great review
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: Insights for Coaching Leaders beyond 2021 by Jill Flynn

Post by NISSE »

InInteresting read which involves time travel, fantasy and secret societies. Thanks for the informative review!
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

A story that follows the warrior bard Boone Daniels as he teams up with Sapphire, a music student and apprentice of Professor Stone as they try to fulfill a hundred-year-old prophecy. I think this would be an interesting read for me. Thanks for the review.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I love the title. It seems interesting.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing this beautiful review.
Troy Barnes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troy-barnes.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Troy Barnes »

This review sounds so adventurous and exciting. Ancient secrets and battles, dark prophecies and life threatening danger is all I need to spice up my day right now. Definitely a must read.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”