Review by Kavita Shah -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of V...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review by Kavita Shah -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of V...

Post by Kavita Shah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the heartland of Voulhire lies the heart of Voulhire’s economy: Industrial powerhouse of Virko. Its founder - Lord Venden, plans to end feudalism and replace it with capitalism. Galen, Rowan and Demetrius go to Virko to get Iron for Magnum Celium. They meet Lord Kayden, who advises them to meet Lord Venden, as he will help them. When they arrive at Rendenhide, they find the sickly lord lying on his bed. Demetrius relays the information to the lord, to which he agrees. He promises iron to them in exchange for their help. What does Lord Venden need aid with? What fate awaits Virko?

We Are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko, written by Matthew Tysz, is the second installment of the “We Are Voulhire” series. It contains 158 standard pages. Here, like the first novel, Galen’s chapters are in the first-person perspective and rest is in third-person perspective. The themes covered in this volume are magic, treason, demons, and massacre.

Matthew’s explanation of Virko’s environment is straightforward and helped create a realistic mental picture. I admired the character of Kayden. He is a sensible man who made some tough decisions for a better future. Lord Hans, also known as Folcro, is a dark figure, and I enjoyed learning about his past as it outlined his childhood. A line which resonates with me is- “Buttered bread and silk blankets are not the luxuries your father and I have given you. What we have given you are choices.”(Pg-58)

Some scenes lacked tension and were monotonous, which I did not like about the book. I noticed that Hillport’s and Virko’s stories were similar. Virko’s story had slight changes, but the core narrative was same. Also, I was expecting to get answers to some questions which sadly I didn’t get. I wanted to know the whereabouts of the son of Lord Eldus and Beth, the girl from Caromentis.

I give We Are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko 2 out of 4 stars. I took away two stars because the story felt boring and unoriginal. I couldn’t give one star as it had an interesting twist. The book is exceptionally well edited as I found no errors.

The novel has no explicit erotic content, but has a perverted scene at the beginning. There is a lot of violence, so if you don’t like this trait, then you should avoid reading this novel. I recommend it to those who have read book 1 and want to explore Voulhire. New readers should read first volume before starting this one as it’s not a standalone.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I read another book by Tysz, and it had many similar faults and strengths. It’s unfortunate that this book was so lackluster, but hopefully the author can grow from the feedback he gets. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I just finished reading the first book and I look forward to what happens next.
Thank you very much for not sugarcoating everything about the second book.
Your review helps me a lot!
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I also read this book. I liked the fact that each character had a multifaceted personality. There were good guys, villains, and people who seemed to be both at the same time.

Thank you for your honest review.
😊
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

You must be one of the few people who got bored with this novel, as most people enjoyed the books from this series. I guess it's a matter of taste. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Are you serious? This novel was boring for you? I guess we are all different after all. Thanks for the honest review,though.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Most of the review I read about this book give it high marks. I'm glad to hear of another perspective; there are lots of installment to this series. THanks for your honest review!
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

maggi3 wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 01:07 I read another book by Tysz, and it had many similar faults and strengths. It’s unfortunate that this book was so lackluster, but hopefully the author can grow from the feedback he gets. Thanks for the review!
Yes, hopefully the author takes it as a positive and improves on these aspects. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It's highly appreciated.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 23:03 I just finished reading the first book and I look forward to what happens next.
Thank you very much for not sugarcoating everything about the second book.
Your review helps me a lot!
I am glad that my review could be of help. Thank you for stopping by and commenting.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 14:20 I also read this book. I liked the fact that each character had a multifaceted personality. There were good guys, villains, and people who seemed to be both at the same time.

Thank you for your honest review.
😊
Indeed, the characters had multifaceted personalities. Thank you for stopping by! :tiphat:
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

NetMassimo wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 16:09 You must be one of the few people who got bored with this novel, as most people enjoyed the books from this series. I guess it's a matter of taste. Thank you for your honest review!
It does depend on taste. I hoped to give it 4 stars, but after reading it the 4 stars turned into 2 stars .
Thank you for stopping by! :tiphat:
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Saint Bruno wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 16:38 Are you serious? This novel was boring for you? I guess we are all different after all. Thanks for the honest review,though.
I am completely serious. This book being the second, didn't make much of an impact on me. Yes, we are all different and unique and that's fantastic.
Thank you for your comments! :tiphat:
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 18:51 Most of the review I read about this book give it high marks. I'm glad to hear of another perspective; there are lots of installment to this series. THanks for your honest review!
I guess one book cannot describe the series. And I've already read 2. One was a great intro, but the second wasn't that great. If I get a chance then I will read book 3. Thank you for your comments! I appreciate it. :D
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

Thank you for your honest review. Most reviewers have given this book a high star but your perspective is very unique and detailed.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Chizioboli wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 10:38 Thank you for your honest review. Most reviewers have given this book a high star but your perspective is very unique and detailed.
Thank you for your comments! :tiphat: It's unusual for sure but that's what I felt after reading it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”