Review by Ellylion -- Fish Wielder

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Review by Ellylion -- Fish Wielder

Post by Ellylion »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Fish Wielder" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison is an exciting fantasy novel. Thoral Mighty Fist sits depressed and unhappy in the Inn of the Gruesomely Gashed Gnome situated in the magical world of Grome. His friend Brad, a talking koi fish Thoral once saved from drowning, gives him an idea of a deadly dangerous adventure to shake the mighty hero up a bit. So, Thoral, Brad, and Warlordhorse, a stallion with a sense of danger and an inner ear problem, start the biggest journey in their lives. May  hooded assassins lurk in the dark, may the gloomy temple of the Bad Religion threaten under the veil of mist, may the overly loving elven princess sulk all way long, but the Goomy Prophecy of Doom must be overturned at any cost. So, the Brotherhood of the Pudding fearlessly steps onto the yellow brick road that leads toward an obscure fate or everlasting glory.

The amazing thing about this book is that the author creates an almost detective story. Despite some grotesqueness of the narrative, the book tells us about a real friendship, true love, and great escapades. The characters are brilliant, and Brad is my favorite among them. He is wise, brave, and always ready to offer a friendly fin. Despite his disagreements with Nalweegie, a beautiful (but quite spoiled) Evening Snack, he risks his little life to save her in fatal circumstances. The book also touches on a tragedy of a disturbed mind. It creates the main drama of the book and makes it more profound. At first sight, the numerous details seem to be too complex to follow, but then everything just comes together. Every single detail is explained and logical, the author forgets nothing, there are no loose ends. It is my most favorite aspect of the book.

Although I liked the humorous side of the book overall, I disliked some examples of a little overwhelming goofiness. For instance, Thoral, Brad, and Warlordhorse clashed with a pack of wolves with two heads. The scene could have been impressive and even horrifying, but then the author stated that both of their heads "were in the front," adding that otherwise it "would have been stupid." Side remarks like this could be a little irritating for a mature audience. And, considering that the book has some disturbing scenes and speaks about a torn-away breast, it is mainly for mature readers, in my opinion. Nevertheless, it was still a minor issue.

I spotted some typos as I was reading the book, but they were negligible. So, I assumed that the book was professionally edited and gave it 4 out of 4 stars. Any lesser rating would be not enough for this book because the author offered a unique way to look at some well-known characters and imagery, and the ending turned out to be very unexpected.

I recommend this book to all the fans of the fantasy genre. Those who love humorous prose would certainly enjoy it. I would say that the book also appeals to readers of mystery and romance novels because of a great number of jaw-dropping situations, surprising twists of the plot, and a solid love story. Even animal lovers may find the adventures of Brad, along with other amazing creatures, quite amusing.

Fish Wielder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Verily! I agree with you, the book is great! My expectations were not very high at the beginning because I though it was goofy, but the humor was excellent! Your observations are very good.
Kavita Shah
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kavita Shah »

The adventure of their life and prophecy to be overturned sounds engaging. The goofiness is what I don't like in fantasy books. Thank you for a good review!
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Kavita Shah wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 09:58 The adventure of their life and prophecy to be overturned sounds engaging. The goofiness is what I don't like in fantasy books. Thank you for a good review!
Thank you very much for your comments! :)
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Dinosaur Awards
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: My Doctor Looks Like Me by Emily Woolcock, M.D.

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Gnomes in Grome and a prophecy of doom?! Hooded assassins, yellow brick roads, and stallions too?! What a fantasy world of creatively named characters and grotesque adventures this one presents. Very cool!
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 09:42 Verily! I agree with you, the book is great! My expectations were not very high at the beginning because I though it was goofy, but the humor was excellent! Your observations are very good.
The same here, I was doubtful but the book turned out to be just great! :) Thanks!
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 11:25 Gnomes in Grome and a prophecy of doom?! Hooded assassins, yellow brick roads, and stallions too?! What a fantasy world of creatively named characters and grotesque adventures this one presents. Very cool!
And also talking horses! :D
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Flight
Bookshelf Size: 227
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Change by N G Nelson

Post by NetMassimo »

A mystery in a fantasy setting is intriguing and requires skills to pull it off. Together with the other elements of this novel, it makes me curious about it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Latest Review: Change by N G Nelson
Nqobile771
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Mysteries and secrets by Janice Angelique

Post by Nqobile771 »

The cover photo already tells me that at some point in this book, major chaos erupts. I'm glad there's some humor sprinkled in this book to lighten the story. Awesome review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Escapement by Tim Powell

Post by kandscreeley »

I've read another book by this author. He's a great writer. I love the humor. I'll have to try this one next. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Love, Grandma
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I like your summary of the book. It makes me want to read the book. I just put it on my bookshelves. Thanks for the wonderful review.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Living Forward After Loss by Kathleen Ho

Post by zainherb »

Wow!
I have read other reviews of this book, but I want to read this book suddenly after reading your review.
Good one!
:techie-reference:
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

NetMassimo wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 12:22 A mystery in a fantasy setting is intriguing and requires skills to pull it off. Together with the other elements of this novel, it makes me curious about it. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you so much! The book is really great :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Nqobile771 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 12:55 The cover photo already tells me that at some point in this book, major chaos erupts. I'm glad there's some humor sprinkled in this book to lighten the story. Awesome review.
Thank you very much! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

kandscreeley wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 19:49 I've read another book by this author. He's a great writer. I love the humor. I'll have to try this one next. Thanks.
You won't be disjointed :) Thank you very much for your comments!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”