Review by jaym_tan -- Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by jaym_tan -- Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by jaym_tan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wilderness Cry by Hilary L. Hunt, M.D. is a book that seeks to understand the questions surrounding God and the existence of everything. Prior to questioning his beliefs, Hunt was a devout Catholic when he was young. He believed every doctrinal teachings to be the absolute truth. It would be blasphemy to refute them in any way or form. As he was about to have his first communion, Hunt began hearing some disturbing things that made him nervous for his big day. The children were warned to never chew the communion wafer symbolizing Jesus’ body because it would be a mortal sin according to teachings, and chewing it accidentally was also considered sinful to some degree. They were even told that eating or drinking before Holy Communion would be enough to condemn someone’s soul to hell . When Hunt reached adulthood, he decided that he would have to figure things out for himself since the priests and the Church would never give him any truthful answers. To better understand the very nature of God and our existence, he decided to do a comprehensive rereading of the Bible while delving into the philosophical, and scientific, aspect of life.

The author made tremendous effort in writing this book. While it is no secret that the Church had done questionable things throughout the centuries, I commend him for incorporating lesser known things about the Catholic Church and the Bible. He explained in great detail how certain Scripture readings were never addressed during homily because it didn’t agree with the Church’s teachings, as well as absurd verses found throughout the Old Testament which are filled with contradicting descriptions about God’s true nature. I am also glad that he questioned the New Testament’s authenticity. It is worth noting that the New Testament had been changed countless of times throughout the centuries, so pretty much of the original teachings had been twisted by many writers and religious leaders for their own biases.

I like the way the author presented his points and research, he makes it very clear that he does not intend to misinform his readers and genuinely wants them to ponder over what they have read. The author never felt the need to force his own views on anyone. Many of our ideas have been shaped by the societies and religion we grew up in so most of the time we don’t bother questioning them but through his book, Hunt lets readers formulate their own thoughts and think of a best way to approach the information he provided for them. Unlike religious institutions that discourage those who seek answers, it is good that he even encourages readers to question his claims instead of trying to get them to agree with him. Although there were some parts in the book where it felt like he was giving a drawn out lecture, it was very easy to get into the book since he doesn’t beat around the bush when it comes to presenting his claims. He captivates the reader’s attention with his writing just by using simple words. Hunt also does not shy away from criticizing the oppressive and misguided teachings of organized religion. He sees the way it affected people’s view on sex, marriage, sin, and free will. Instead of giving proper guidance, most of the teachings were imposed on followers through threats of damnation and shaming them for being flawed human beings. While there are people who willingly commit atrocities, many humans are bound to make mistakes, or be tempted, so it should not be considered sinful.

While the author provided many valid arguments that made for an interesting read, I found all kinds of errors in the copy that I received, ranging from spelling to typographical ones. I admit it made me lose focus since the errors were too noticeable. Aside from that, I did not find anything to dislike about the book.

Despite the book’s engrossing topic, the editing was not done well so I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Nonetheless, the author’s writing style is straightforward and the content was fascinating so it is easy to get absorbed in it. I highly recommend this book to those who are searching for answers in life. If you are in the midst of questioning your faith, give this book a try. This is also a perfect book to discuss among friends and like-minded people since it makes for a great conversation starter. I would not recommend this to people who are not open to discussing topics about religion. Regardless of age, anyone with a love for knowledge will truly appreciate it.

Wilderness Cry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I liked the book because of its innovative approach that makes readers think and reconsider.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

jaym_tan wrote: 19 May 2021, 06:51 [Following is a volunteer review of "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wilderness Cry by Hilary L. Hunt, M.D. is a book that seeks to understand the questions surrounding God and the existence of everything. Prior to questioning his beliefs, Hunt was a devout Catholic when he was young. He believed every doctrinal teachings to be the absolute truth. It would be blasphemy to refute them in any way or form. As he was about to have his first communion, Hunt began hearing some disturbing things that made him nervous for his big day. The children were warned to never chew the communion wafer symbolizing Jesus’ body because it would be a mortal sin according to teachings, and chewing it accidentally was also considered sinful to some degree. They were even told that eating or drinking before Holy Communion would be enough to condemn someone’s soul to hell . When Hunt reached adulthood, he decided that he would have to figure things out for himself since the priests and the Church would never give him any truthful answers. To better understand the very nature of God and our existence, he decided to do a comprehensive rereading of the Bible while delving into the philosophical, and scientific, aspect of life.

The author made tremendous effort in writing this book. While it is no secret that the Church had done questionable things throughout the centuries, I commend him for incorporating lesser known things about the Catholic Church and the Bible. He explained in great detail how certain Scripture readings were never addressed during homily because it didn’t agree with the Church’s teachings, as well as absurd verses found throughout the Old Testament which are filled with contradicting descriptions about God’s true nature. I am also glad that he questioned the New Testament’s authenticity. It is worth noting that the New Testament had been changed countless of times throughout the centuries, so pretty much of the original teachings had been twisted by many writers and religious leaders for their own biases.

I like the way the author presented his points and research, he makes it very clear that he does not intend to misinform his readers and genuinely wants them to ponder over what they have read. The author never felt the need to force his own views on anyone. Many of our ideas have been shaped by the societies and religion we grew up in so most of the time we don’t bother questioning them but through his book, Hunt lets readers formulate their own thoughts and think of a best way to approach the information he provided for them. Unlike religious institutions that discourage those who seek answers, it is good that he even encourages readers to question his claims instead of trying to get them to agree with him. Although there were some parts in the book where it felt like he was giving a drawn out lecture, it was very easy to get into the book since he doesn’t beat around the bush when it comes to presenting his claims. He captivates the reader’s attention with his writing just by using simple words. Hunt also does not shy away from criticizing the oppressive and misguided teachings of organized religion. He sees the way it affected people’s view on sex, marriage, sin, and free will. Instead of giving proper guidance, most of the teachings were imposed on followers through threats of damnation and shaming them for being flawed human beings. While there are people who willingly commit atrocities, many humans are bound to make mistakes, or be tempted, so it should not be considered sinful.

While the author provided many valid arguments that made for an interesting read, I found all kinds of errors in the copy that I received, ranging from spelling to typographical ones. I admit it made me lose focus since the errors were too noticeable. Aside from that, I did not find anything to dislike about the book.

Despite the book’s engrossing topic, the editing was not done well so I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Nonetheless, the author’s writing style is straightforward and the content was fascinating so it is easy to get absorbed in it. I highly recommend this book to those who are searching for answers in life. If you are in the midst of questioning your faith, give this book a try. This is also a perfect book to discuss among friends and like-minded people since it makes for a great conversation starter. I would not recommend this to people who are not open to discussing topics about religion. Regardless of age, anyone with a love for knowledge will truly appreciate it.

Wilderness Cry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Thank you for your detailed review. I really appreciated the way you summarized the book. It was difficult for me to read as a know little about Catholicism so at times reading this book was tedious. Your review gave me a new perspective on the book. Thanks again.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”