Review by Gemjay -- Ironing by Navajo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Review by Gemjay -- Ironing by Navajo

Post by Gemjay »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ironing" by Navajo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Ironing by Navajo is an interesting collection of different stories that present the reader with three main characters. The characters include; Emma, Ginie, and Royanda. The narration begins with the college girls boarding a London bus as they head for a dog show. On the way, the girls engage in various conversations and gossip which is typical for young college girls. One of the girls, Royanda, is dumped on the way by her boyfriend, Tomas, via a text message. Another interesting character, Mrs. Winston, joins in the conversation and comforts Royanda due to the breakup. Mrs. Winston also calls Tomas and gives him a piece of her mind.

The bus pulls off at every stop and passengers board and others alight the bus. As the girls continue with their conversation and Emma states strange facts that her mother teaches her, a new character, Caitlin, joins in the conversation with the girls. Caitlin begins to study the case 'EY Male #4617'. This case is so emotional and interesting. The author expounds on Caitlin's life and we get to see her join an online dating site. Read the book to find out more about the girls and the major plot twist that occurs during the dog show event. In addition to that, get to find out Caitlin's experience on online dating.

I enjoyed reading this book especially due to the conversations and gossip the girls engaged in. The girls discussed their love lives and different boys who hit on them. Emma is my best character in the book. She is active and keeps the conversation going. She randomly states weird facts, for example, Emma argues that her mother says tall people are the problem and if people were genetically engineered to be shorter and the world remained as it is then there would be no problems. I also enjoyed the fact that the book is modern and it mentioned things like WhatsApp, minecraft and online dating. This way, I related to such topics and I became even more interested in the book.

One major problem I had with this book, is that the author never really provided a definite closure to many of the stories narrated. For example, I was curious to know if Caitlin settles for the last man she finds on the online dating app. Also, the stories narrated in book have an interrupted flow from one story to the other but, I got to understand the contents of the book. Besides what I have stated, I enjoyed the book and I did not find any other negative aspects of the book.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book deserves three stars because the author has a unique collection of stories. The stories are also interesting to read and are up to date with the current generation. The characters have also been well developed and their personalities are distinct. Also, the book was exceptionally well edited and I found it very easy to read the book. I deducted one star due to the poor and interrupted flow of stories.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys an interesting collection of stories based on young characters. I would also recommend this book to anyone who enjoys stories based on the current technology ,for example, apps like WhatsApp and minecraft. Also, the use of vulgar language limits the readers to a mature audience.

Ironing
View: on Bookshelves
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

This seems like a interesting read. Having never read a short stories book, this might be my first.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-bookowski.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anna Bookowski »

This book is something else, isn't it. I also liked Emma character most. And I found Caitlin's comments on the men from the dating app so hilarious. The ending was shocking to me, though. And I was also disappointed that some of the stories went so unfinished.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

Sounds like a very interesting book. Short stories are the ones I like to read in the car. Your review of this book has made me consider getting this book for the next long car ride I go on after this pandemic is over.
Gemjay
Currently Reading:

Post by Gemjay »

63tty wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 02:35 This seems like a interesting read. Having never read a short stories book, this might be my first.
Give it a try. It's quite interesting. Thank you for the comment.
Gemjay
Currently Reading:

Post by Gemjay »

Anna Bookowski wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 11:38 This book is something else, isn't it. I also liked Emma character most. And I found Caitlin's comments on the men from the dating app so hilarious. The ending was shocking to me, though. And I was also disappointed that some of the stories went so unfinished.
Emma is quite interesting and the end is quite shocking too. Thank you for the feedback.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

Looks like this is a girl's book. Not really sure I'd enjoy it despite your great review.
Gemjay
Currently Reading:

Post by Gemjay »

Amanda Dobson wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 13:12 Sounds like a very interesting book. Short stories are the ones I like to read in the car. Your review of this book has made me consider getting this book for the next long car ride I go on after this pandemic is over.
The book is quite interesting you should try it out! Thank you for reading the review.
Gemjay
Currently Reading:

Post by Gemjay »

:evil2:
Unsullied wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 04:10 Looks like this is a girl's book. Not really sure I'd enjoy it despite your great review.
I'd say it would be interesting to all teenagers not really girls but thank you for the comment.
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I reviewed this book and wasn't pleased with its single-block structure since I got lost in the various stories. I, however, appreciated the well-written and exciting parts.
Gemjay
Currently Reading:

Post by Gemjay »

Fireside119 wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 15:21 I reviewed this book and wasn't pleased with its single-block structure since I got lost in the various stories. I, however, appreciated the well-written and exciting parts.
It's easy to get lost in the stories I also did but I enjoyed reading the rest of the story about the girls. Thank you for the feedback!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”