Review by Mercy Osmond -- Ark of the Apocalypse

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Re: Review by Mercy Osmond -- Ark of the Apocalypse

Post by Mercy Osmond »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 08:36 This book seems fascinating. The cover is very beautiful, and the concept of humans relocating to another planet, as the disaster hits the earth, is intriguing. Thanks for the elaborate review.

Thanks for your comment.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

What will be the fate of the people? Will earth survive this great disaster and wait for their return? Will the people who traveled to this new planet survive the threats they will face? These are interesting questions that pique my interest. I look forward to finding answers to them. Thanks for the review.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Mercy Osmond wrote: 17 May 2021, 03:30 [Following is a volunteer review of "Ark of the Apocalypse" by Tobin Marks.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The world is dead. The land thirst, water has become a rare commodity, food is lacking, making some of the people turn cannibals, thereby eating the weak ones. Countries are at war against each other, causing many deaths. The world's climate changed bringing sicknesses and reducing the population, keeping just a few alive. In the midst of this great peril, a starship was built to convey some of the people to another planet and seek refuge where they will build a new colony. Oblivious to what they will encounter, they surged ahead with the journey. The passengers will be put to sleep for ten years, before getting to the new planet. What will be the fate of the people? Will earth survive this great disaster and wait for their return? Will the people who traveled to this new planet survive the threats they will face?

Ark of the Apocalypse by Tobin Marks talks about how the world collapsed. The major characters in this breath-taking story are the Yanbeyeva and the Mizushima. The Yanbeyevas have a preternatural ability to foresee events. The world was oblivious that Mother Olga, one of the Yanbeyeva, was masterminding the disaster the world was facing. The Mizushimas created a ship that will help the people to flee to another planet.

Tobin's style in writing this book was very impressive; drawing the reader’s mind into the book and making them glued to the book till the end. I must commend the author for his creativity in making the book come alive. One would think the story is happening right in front of them. Tobin’s ability in developing the characters is splendid. I could relate with each of them. The multiple points of views (POVs) in the novel made it more interesting.

The character that I love most is Leka. Her gentle spirit and kindness in putting others first inspired me. When she was told to carry her sister’s child, she didn’t refuse, and when the mantle was handed over to her, she ruled with all humility, even when she didn’t have the preternatural abilities like the other Yanbeyevas, she still ruled well. This shows that one doesn’t need a gift or a talent to do great things, rather your character is a unique quality to do great things.

The book is professionally edited. Errors are almost next to none. The diction is concise and easy to grasp. The narrative is in-depth; Tobin did a very thorough research when writing this book. I was awed by some of the author’s narrative style. For instance, the way mother Olga astral projects to different places and the manner Nadya and the dragon communicate was really amazing.

Different languages were used in the story, and my expectation of a glossary was dashed because there’s none which any average reader would have loved to have for a proper understanding. However, the reader can still understand the language from the story line.

I recommend this book to lovers of science fiction and to readers who want to try something new. I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, because it contains so many themes and it’s a very intriguing story that leaves a reader in a state of euphoria. I’m looking forward to the next episode of this book.

Ark of the Apocalypse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Detailed review. Sounds interesting!!!
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

The story sounds interesting, but I actually think I'd prefer to watch it on a screen rather than read it. Then again, it seems that the descriptions might activate my imagination well and make it comparable to a movie. Thanks for your review!
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercy Osmond »

Emily_Jen wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 13:50 What will be the fate of the people? Will earth survive this great disaster and wait for their return? Will the people who traveled to this new planet survive the threats they will face? These are interesting questions that pique my interest. I look forward to finding answers to them. Thanks for the review.

Thanks for your view.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercy Osmond »

ROSEYANN wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 01:53
Mercy Osmond wrote: 17 May 2021, 03:30 [Following is a volunteer review of "Ark of the Apocalypse" by Tobin Marks.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The world is dead. The land thirst, water has become a rare commodity, food is lacking, making some of the people turn cannibals, thereby eating the weak ones. Countries are at war against each other, causing many deaths. The world's climate changed bringing sicknesses and reducing the population, keeping just a few alive. In the midst of this great peril, a starship was built to convey some of the people to another planet and seek refuge where they will build a new colony. Oblivious to what they will encounter, they surged ahead with the journey. The passengers will be put to sleep for ten years, before getting to the new planet. What will be the fate of the people? Will earth survive this great disaster and wait for their return? Will the people who traveled to this new planet survive the threats they will face?

Ark of the Apocalypse by Tobin Marks talks about how the world collapsed. The major characters in this breath-taking story are the Yanbeyeva and the Mizushima. The Yanbeyevas have a preternatural ability to foresee events. The world was oblivious that Mother Olga, one of the Yanbeyeva, was masterminding the disaster the world was facing. The Mizushimas created a ship that will help the people to flee to another planet.

Tobin's style in writing this book was very impressive; drawing the reader’s mind into the book and making them glued to the book till the end. I must commend the author for his creativity in making the book come alive. One would think the story is happening right in front of them. Tobin’s ability in developing the characters is splendid. I could relate with each of them. The multiple points of views (POVs) in the novel made it more interesting.

The character that I love most is Leka. Her gentle spirit and kindness in putting others first inspired me. When she was told to carry her sister’s child, she didn’t refuse, and when the mantle was handed over to her, she ruled with all humility, even when she didn’t have the preternatural abilities like the other Yanbeyevas, she still ruled well. This shows that one doesn’t need a gift or a talent to do great things, rather your character is a unique quality to do great things.

The book is professionally edited. Errors are almost next to none. The diction is concise and easy to grasp. The narrative is in-depth; Tobin did a very thorough research when writing this book. I was awed by some of the author’s narrative style. For instance, the way mother Olga astral projects to different places and the manner Nadya and the dragon communicate was really amazing.

Different languages were used in the story, and my expectation of a glossary was dashed because there’s none which any average reader would have loved to have for a proper understanding. However, the reader can still understand the language from the story line.

I recommend this book to lovers of science fiction and to readers who want to try something new. I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, because it contains so many themes and it’s a very intriguing story that leaves a reader in a state of euphoria. I’m looking forward to the next episode of this book.

Detailed review. Sounds interesting!!!

Thanks for your comment.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercy Osmond »

Jagiine wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 11:38 The story sounds interesting, but I actually think I'd prefer to watch it on a screen rather than read it. Then again, it seems that the descriptions might activate my imagination well and make it comparable to a movie. Thanks for your review!

Thank you for your view.
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: Insights for Coaching Leaders beyond 2021 by Jill Flynn

Post by NISSE »

This seems to be a really interesting read about starships, space travel and alternative plants etc. I have enjoyed your thorough review!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Judging from the cover art, I'm surprised to learn that this book has anything to do with planet Earth. It looks like pure fantasy as it depicts a dragon and an elf-like girl. Nevertheless, the story sounds very fascinating, and I agree with your point that a multilingual book should contain a glossary for clarity.

Thank you for your entertaining review.
😀
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

I read the review. Your review made the book come alive and surge me to wanting it the more. I love sci-fi books, and I believe I will enjoy this.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

This is a great review to represent a promising book. Just like someone mentioned, I am not cool with the idea of canibalism either. However, besides that, this seems a promising book. I plan checking it out. Perhaps if I can get a demo on Amazon book store. I guess the title gives the book away as an apocalyptic novel.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercy Osmond »

NISSE wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 10:54 This seems to be a really interesting read about starships, space travel and alternative plants etc. I have enjoyed your thorough review!
Thanks for your comment. :D
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercy Osmond »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 03:47 Judging from the cover art, I'm surprised to learn that this book has anything to do with planet Earth. It looks like pure fantasy as it depicts a dragon and an elf-like girl. Nevertheless, the story sounds very fascinating, and I agree with your point that a multilingual book should contain a glossary for clarity.

Thank you for your entertaining review.
😀
Thanks for your view.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercy Osmond »

lumenchristi wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 08:17 I read the review. Your review made the book come alive and surge me to wanting it the more. I love sci-fi books, and I believe I will enjoy this.
Thanks for your comment.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercy Osmond »

Nathaniel Owolabi wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 17:12 This is a great review to represent a promising book. Just like someone mentioned, I am not cool with the idea of canibalism either. However, besides that, this seems a promising book. I plan checking it out. Perhaps if I can get a demo on Amazon book store. I guess the title gives the book away as an apocalyptic novel.
It's an interesting story that you will really enjoy. Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”