Review by RHD -- Ironing by Navajo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RHD
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Review by RHD -- Ironing by Navajo

Post by RHD »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ironing" by Navajo.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ironing by Navajo is a unique read. It's basically about life in the Eastend of London. We are looking at the middle class lifestyle. Emma, Ginie and Royanda are teenage girlfriends who hang out a lot. They are from different backgrounds and cultures, but somehow get along. The book has to do with their families, relationships and neighbors. For instance, there's one Mrs. McDoubtfire, a headteacher and quite the character. She certainly has her fair share of drama. For this and more, grab yourself a copy.

The aspect I liked most about the book was the character of Emma. She is extra-ordinary, hilarious and hard-headed. Her thinking is out of this world! Navajo's description of this particular part of London is not what anyone would expect. This translates that it's as real as it gets. Likewise, the plot and the characters felt quite real and current. There were a couple of references to Siri and social media. The author was humorous throughout the book. The characters, mostly elderly women, were far from boring. A good example, my second best character, was Mrs. Winston. She will make your ribs crack.

The PDF version was totally continuous prose. In a nutshell, there were no line breaks, paragraphs or chapters. This, to me, was greatly a challenge. Perhaps it's because I'm used to breaks. It's also probably not exactly wrong, but it was a major off for me. Moreover, the plot was shallow. The flow was wanting. One minute I'm reading about the teenage girls, the next it's about adult issues. A lot of the times I couldn't avoid confusion. There was no moral of the story. A reader doesn't really learn anything important or helpful going forward.

Ironing is quite erroneous. I found much more than ten errors. Most of them had to do with punctuation. An example of the errors is one that appears in page 87 - George had managed to pull a real women. Due to this and the reasons mentioned in the above paragraph, I deducted two stars from it's rating. However, I also felt that it would be an okay read with another round of editing, thus I award it 2 out of 4 stars.

This book would be most appealing to teenagers. It deals with current issues and it's vibe feels young and vibrant. Children should be discouraged from reading this one. It contains profanity and minor violence. Elderly audience would shy away from this one as well. This is so especially for the conservative and sensitive ones. Readers who pick up Ironing should have an open mind. All in all, it's a generally good and realistic representation of the ordinary folk, especially the city dwellers.

Ironing
View: on Bookshelves
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”