Review by MarveeAman -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Review by MarveeAman -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by MarveeAman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A heartwarming story about an 11-year-old girl and her family's experiences with passion, longing, death, anger, and repentance. We meet three female characters in Kalayla who live in Cambridge, Massachusetts in the late '90s. Three female protagonists, each with a different ethnic background and disposition, are central to the story.

Lena is the apartment owner. She was once married to an abusive husband and is now a widow. She lives alone and has no one to call her own. Two of her sons were killed in a war, and the other two were estranged from her. Maureen, Kalaya's mum, is also a widow. She gave up everything for her daughter Kalayla. Maureen was unable to tell her child that when she married her spouse, Jamal, her family had rejected her. Kalayla is an 11-year-old mixed-race girl who believes her maternal grandparents died in an explosion. All three women demonstrate compassion, strength, and support for one another, showing that family does not always have to be blood-linked.

It’s a story about a culture I’m honestly not really familiar with, but I did learn a lot from reading this. This book discusses cross-cultural marriage, which is an age-old concept that is still prevalent in many communities. I never imagined that marrying out of cast could be problematic in Western culture as well. Sure, it's fiction, but it introduced me to a world I didn't know anything about.

I'd like to highlight a few positive aspects of this book. Firstly, the story does not sound daunting or confusing, despite the variety of perspectives. It is very easy to follow. Secondly, I had a good time reading this book and laughing at Kalayla's shenanigans. There is a constant tug of war between Kalayla and Lena, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Thirdly, the exciting plot has a lot to offer and moves smoothly from one chapter to the next. Lastly, Jeannie Nicholas did a fantastic job of focusing on life in the late 1990s when the internet and cell phones were both relatively new. So you can feel the vibes of the '90s in this story.

On the negative side, there are a few issues that need to be addressed. To begin with, the author does not go into great detail with her imagery and explanations Therefore, the book fails to follow a key writing rule: Show, don't tell. Furthermore, I found Kalayla's character to be a little too dramatic at times. Also, although the sentences were simple, they were not crisp. As a result, I believe the author frittered away the chance to write philosophical dialogues.

I found the profanity to be borderline but not overly offensive. There was no mature content found there. Also, the book briefly mentions racism and domestic abuse, but not in detail. I only found a few minor errors that didn't interfere with my reading experience. Hence, I can confidently say that the book has been professionally edited.

Kalayla would have received a perfect rating. However, I would deduct one point for the poor writing style. Hence, I'd rate it 3 out of 4 stars. You'll definitely enjoy this book if you enjoy books about dysfunctional families and family drama.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the book is well structured and organized. It contributes a lot to readability and understanding.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I like how you mentioned that this book introduced you to a world you didn't know anything about despite being fiction. Thanks for a detailed and honest review!
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

An story of a elven year old experiences in life, especially the complexities arising from a cross cultural marriage. I enjoyed your review! .

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”