Review by raj_nandani_poet -- The Legacy of Job's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raj_nandani_poet
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raj-nandani-poet.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Review by raj_nandani_poet -- The Legacy of Job's Wife

Post by raj_nandani_poet »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Legacy of Job's Wife" by Cynthia Koelker.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Legacy of Job’s Wife by Cynthia Koelkar is a story about a gypsy group of mountains. It isn't mentioned but I gathered this much from the description. The author has presented vivid imagery regarding the environment this story is based in. Their life is based on farming, shepherding, and trading. This book shows the life of a child from her birth to her death, in between all the love and tragedies accompanying her.

The writing style is free-flowing and nice to read. The sentences flow like a stream or poetry; there is music to the words. But the writing is filled with mention of God and God’s teachings. It is a book that keeps faith in God in the center; the story seems somehow allegorical.

The characters are all based in a century when there were wars, sheep, horses, marriage, child-bearing, and farming the center of their lifestyle. It represented an era of a budding and growing lifestyle. It was as if the human race was still developing and understanding.

It was an enriching experience reading this book due to the lyrical flow of words. The discussion of cultures and traditions gave me unknown delight, but the stereotypical representation of women and men somehow itched on my conscience. The author seemed to be justifying all those inclinations as the will of God, but it may be also to keep it realistic.

I will give this book 2 out of 4 stars. This is because the beginning was a good one but as I proceeded further, the story became more like a manifestation of God's wonder than the realistic one. The latter part of the book covers the miracles and wonders of God, along with the hardships one endure. Although it has a good plot, the second part seemed forceful in the story. And I cannot even begin to point out the child-bearing tendencies of humans in this book! Apart from this, I found a minor typing error in this book.

I liked most the beginning of the book and the poetic style that adorns the writings of the author. There is a rhythm in the story and I liked reading it. The drastic turn of events was also a welcome change for me. I liked least the second twist in the story where everything went back to as it was despite the terrible events that preceded them. I felt that author had to introduce all that just to show the human tendency to betray and instances of human forgiveness.

Overall, this book presents to us an allegorical story filled with God's teaching and old stereotypes that infested the human species. It is more suitable for those who deeply believe in the miracles of God.

The Legacy of Job's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”