Review by Kavita Shah -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review by Kavita Shah -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by Kavita Shah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“In the Lands of the Princes, it was death by the sword, or a slow starvation.” Galen escapes from the Land of princes on a ship which takes him to Magnum Celium. His uncle (whom he had never met) is dying and has made him the inheritor to his business and inheritance. Galen meets Rowan, who is his uncle’s executor, and together they take a trip to get some valuable iron.

In Soulhire, King Wilhelm has made Judge Eldus the new Lord of Hillport. Eldus hopes of making Hillport an economic hub and starts working on its development. He checks on the victims of Lord Orlin and learns something startling. What did Lord Eldus find out? Did Galen find what he was looking for?

We are Voulhire - A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book of “We are Voulhire” series and has an original story line. In this book the author introduces the reader to many characters, but his primary focus is on two of them, Galen and Lord Eldus. The author employee’s third person narrative when the chapter is about lord Eldus. He uses first person narrative for Galen’s chapter. At the beginning, the writer has provided a map which is helpful to get a picture of Voulhire and a glossary section at the end.

In this book, Matthew develops the world of Voulhire at a steady pace and takes the reader on a riveting journey. There are a few scenes of ugly violence, so be ready for that. The first half of the book had little to no adventure, and I was a little disappointed by that, but the second half left me craving for more. I appreciate that the plethora of characters, each with their own stories, were not at all confusing. Each chapter had a character’s name, which made it easy to keep track of them. It was good to know that it’s a part of “ We are Voulhire” series, as I wouldn’t have wanted it to end in a single book.

I felt a professional has edited this book, as I found no grammatical or spelling errors. I give We are Voulhire - A New Arrival under Great Skies 4 out of 4 stars. There was nothing I disliked about the book. I recommend it to readers who like magic and original stories and also to those who love world building fantasy stories. I would not recommend it to young readers due to brief scenes of violence and also not to those who don’t like fantasy books.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I think Tysz is a very talented storyteller with a wild imagination. At the rate he is going, I am sure he will be a renowned writer before he reaches 40. I only hope his scary stories will not come true.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your informative review. It's true that the book's beginning is not very intriguing, even a bit confusing, but it gradually gets better to keep the readers on the edge of their seats.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Miriam Molina wrote: 05 May 2021, 19:11 I think Tysz is a very talented storyteller with a wild imagination. At the rate he is going, I am sure he will be a renowned writer before he reaches 40. I only hope his scary stories will not come true.
He sure writes excellent stories.
In some parallel universe this story is the reality. 😁
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Sou Hi wrote: 05 May 2021, 23:15 Thanks for your informative review. It's true that the book's beginning is not very intriguing, even a bit confusing, but it gradually gets better to keep the readers on the edge of their seats.
It was a roller coaster ride to say. Thank you for stopping by!😃
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Reading this book was a riveting journey indeed!
I'm on the second book now and loving it.
I agree that the book is a slow-burner. But the prologue at Hillport made up for the lack of action in the beginning.
Thanks for this amazing review :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Mindful Wordsmith wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 10:27 Reading this book was a riveting journey indeed!
I'm on the second book now and loving it.
I agree that the book is a slow-burner. But the prologue at Hillport made up for the lack of action in the beginning.
Thanks for this amazing review :tiphat:
Yes, the second half was the best part. Thank you for your comments!
One piece
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-one-piece.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by One piece »

As for my case the book got me hooked from the very beginning with action at Hillport from the start and jailing of Meldorath.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I wonder how Galen's life turns out to be in Voulhire. How would be being an heir? I admire that the book doesn't look complicated even if it involves a plethora of characters. Good job to Matthew for this, and thumbs up for your engaging review, Kavita!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”