Review by Hunter_T -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hunter Tester
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Review by Hunter_T -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by Hunter Tester »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the beginning of the We are Voulhire series. Have you ever been so afraid of something, but you didn’t know why? This is what the people of Voulhire experience daily. It is thanks to one man, Lord Meldorath. He is a powerful mage, one who practices magic. Thanks to events in the past, the citizens of Voulhire know just how much he is capable of. Even kings and leaders cannot be at peace because of the threat that he brings. Most people are convinced that Meldorath is dead, but is it the truth?

Voulhire is a place where the physical, spiritual, and magical coexist as one. They have their own religion, although be it different than anything in our world. Matthew Tysz introduces us to Voulhire through the perspectives of kings, lords, mages, and the common citizen. Many want the country to prosper, and with the introduction of a new lord, some begin to hope again. Can one lead a city and a kingdom, when there is still so much uneasiness and unrest?

There are several things I liked about We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies. First, I think the author deserves much credit for the ability to create an entire world from nothing. This takes someone with a vast imagination. While reading, it is evident the dedication the author put into this work. I also like how Tysz included a reference guide at the back of the book. As well, in the beginning, he includes a website with many resources to help in understanding Voulhire. I actually used this site myself, as it helped me understand certain aspects of the world in the book. Lastly, I loved the mysteriousness of the character Lord Meldorath. The author doesn’t plainly state his name each time, but often refers to him as a man in a hooded blue robe or something to that effect. There are several times when the characters don’t notice it is in fact Meldorath, however, the reader picks up on the detail throughout. I really liked the way the author did this!

Although I liked many things about this book, there are a couple of drawbacks. I’ll start by saying I don’t read many books in the fantasy genre. Each chapter comes from a different perspective, which can make it hard at times to piece together the overarching plot. The book includes many characters, cities, and details that make up the world of Voulhire. To understand it well, one must take it slowly and carefully. To the casual reader, this may be a hard read. I do understand, however, that the author is doing a lot of world-building to start this series. I didn’t see the reasoning behind certain characters and their storyline, but Tysz may be saving something for a later book.

With that said, I give We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies 3 out of 4 stars. I only take away a star because of the reading difficulty and how many characters there are to take in at once. If I didn’t reread certain chapters and make constant notes, I wouldn’t have understood it well.

I recommend this to anyone that loves books of the fantasy genre. It explores a different world and contains a unique cast of characters. Also, if you like stories involving magic, this may be for you. There are people killed during different parts of the book, but it is never explained in great detail. While the people of Voulhire have a religion and God is mentioned, people of all religions would enjoy this book. I also found it to be exceptionally well-edited with zero spelling or grammar mistakes.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

This series is one of my favorites. This is a great review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 04 May 2021, 09:58 This series is one of my favorites. This is a great review.
It was a challenge for me at times, as I am not used to the fantasy genre. Once I reread some parts and took more notes, I was okay though. I may consider checking out the others. Thanks for your comment!
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Great job on your review. I have yet to get into this series, but this review definitely makes me want to. Matthew Tysz is a talented author for sure!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the beginning of the We are Voulhire series. Have you ever been so afraid of something, but you didn’t know why? This is what the people of Voulhire experience daily.
Yep. I was born with an absolutely irrational fear of water that one day simply vanished. Maybe I'm inhabiting some fantasy world... :P
There are several things I liked about We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies. First, I think the author deserves much credit for the ability to create an entire world from nothing. This takes someone with a vast imagination. While reading, it is evident the dedication the author put into this work.
Like you, I rarely read fantasy, but I always marvel at the ability of some authors to create worlds from nothing. It must take not only a lot of imagination, but a lot of discipline to outline the plot.
Excellent review, thank you!
KanaSmriti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanasmriti.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior: Acolyte of Truth by Antoine Bonner

Post by KanaSmriti »

I liked the starting of the story but didn't like the middle portion as it was too stretched. I understand what you didn't like. Thanks for the review.
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

Katie Canedy wrote: 04 May 2021, 18:51 Great job on your review. I have yet to get into this series, but this review definitely makes me want to. Matthew Tysz is a talented author for sure!
Thank you, I appreciate that!!
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

Lunastella wrote: 04 May 2021, 19:47
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the beginning of the We are Voulhire series. Have you ever been so afraid of something, but you didn’t know why? This is what the people of Voulhire experience daily.
Yep. I was born with an absolutely irrational fear of water that one day simply vanished. Maybe I'm inhabiting some fantasy world... :P
There are several things I liked about We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies. First, I think the author deserves much credit for the ability to create an entire world from nothing. This takes someone with a vast imagination. While reading, it is evident the dedication the author put into this work.
Like you, I rarely read fantasy, but I always marvel at the ability of some authors to create worlds from nothing. It must take not only a lot of imagination, but a lot of discipline to outline the plot.
Excellent review, thank you!
Hahah. Yeah, they definitely deserve a lot of credit for the imagination it takes. Thank you reading and for your comment!
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

KanaSmriti wrote: 04 May 2021, 21:00 I liked the starting of the story but didn't like the middle portion as it was too stretched. I understand what you didn't like. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for your comment!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

It's always interesting seeing other peoples reviews on books you have enjoyed. Thanks for the terrific review! It can be a bit confusing, but I guess as a reader you get used to it. Hopefully, you enjoy the second book! Looking forward to your review on that.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

RayRuff wrote: 05 May 2021, 06:19 It's always interesting seeing other peoples reviews on books you have enjoyed. Thanks for the terrific review! It can be a bit confusing, but I guess as a reader you get used to it. Hopefully, you enjoy the second book! Looking forward to your review on that.
Thank you for your kind comment. I may look into reading the others.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It really is a great series. I am going to read part 2.
Thank you for a great review!
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

Kavita Shah wrote: 11 May 2021, 10:54 It really is a great series. I am going to read part 2.
Thank you for a great review!
Thanks for your comment! I may read the second one as well.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

This was a lovely book with well made characters that you’d actually feel like you’d like to know better

I commend this reviewer for review well done
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

Michaeljerry309 wrote: 12 May 2021, 10:23 This was a lovely book with well made characters that you’d actually feel like you’d like to know better

I commend this reviewer for review well done
Thanks so much!!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”