Review by Sinclairess -- There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sinclairess
2021 Reading Goal: 9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinclairess.html
Latest Review: Shattered by Anne Beck

Review by Sinclairess -- There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!

Post by Sinclairess »

[Following is a volunteer review of "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!" by Trish Ostroski.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There's A Rooster in My Bathroom! is a memoir by Trish Ostroski. This book is an overview of her varied personal and professional adventures. Her primetime began in the entertainment industry as a Hollywood playwright, theatrical reviewer, advertiser, etc. Afterward, she trained to become a hypnotherapist focused on inner healing. The culmination of this book recounts her 2013-2015 United States Peace Corps assignment in Moldova as well. As she infuses her experiences and woos the reader with her daring, she connects it all back to one central point: betterment.

Altruism is the most compelling theme in this book. It is inspiring to read about the public service and compassion Ostroski has displayed, especially during her time in the Peace Corps. The wonky title is based on a true story. One day in a village there was a strange noise coming from the bathroom. After investigating, our dear author found a live rooster staring at her! The creature likely found warmth and solace in the room because it was cold. Ostroski is such a caring soul that she realized the animal was suffering and felt empathy for it. The parallel: she could have freaked out and reported the rooster, but instead she realized the hilarity of the situation, as he would become a meal soon enough without her help. Readers are encouraged to do the same as she did when faced with ridiculous situations in life: adapt.

My rating is 3 out of 4 stars. One star is removed because this book will need a professional round of editing; I found more than ten errors, most of them being grammar misuse or typos. The narrative style’s delivery is the only area recommended for improvement. It would have been nice to observe a stronger voice to match the boldness and presence Ostroski emits when telling her tales. I would like to see it showcased in spirit because I got a hunch that the writing was withholding something in the tone. The author has a vivid personality, displayed via wonderful real-life photos in the middle portion of the book. This is a small bone to pick, however, and reading remains enjoyable without this suggestion.

There's A Rooster in My Bathroom! is suitable for all ages because there is no profanity or explicit content. I recommend this book to social activists, humanists, and travelers. The targeted audience seems to be older working professionals. Though it is not quite listed as self-help, it [can help you with your endeavors. Are you pondering quitting your job? Do you want to do something risky yet hopefully fulfilling? After you gain insight from reading this book, go for it! Here is an uplifting quote to take with you:
“You can always use your personal Richter Scale in life. When it goes up a little, it means a lot.” (page 23)
There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Latest Review: Shattered by Anne Beck

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”