Review by Precious Naiti -- Wilderness Cry

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Review by Precious Naiti -- Wilderness Cry

Post by Precious Naiti »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it. Wilderness Cry by Hilary L. Hunt will introduce you to a whole new set of ideas about religion and the universe.

In the early chapters, the author focuses on the Trinity, creation, evolution, sin, prayer, and God’s will. He mentions how he started developing doubt about some concepts offered by religion when he realized that religion was full of guilt and suppression. He describes God as perfect, all-knowing, and all good. The perfection of the universe shows God’s perfection according to the author. He gives a prescription for success if religion strives to end suffering in the world. He discusses a lot of Paul’s assertions and intriguingly interprets them. He explains how selfishness is encountered in every entity of the universe and explains how love is the cure. Love for God and love for your neighbor. God’s eternal nature is explained. God is not limited by time because time is a measure of change, and God does not change. Jesus Christ’s existence is shed light upon in a different way than what everyone is accustomed to. In the last chapters, free will, mercy, marriage, sex, and the legal system are also discussed in detail. He shows how women were perceived and defended them offering the comparison of Mary Magdalene. He writes about his hope and prediction of the future of Christianity. He offers sound arguments on all subjects.

I loved several things about this book. The author’s insights are all intriguing and thought-provoking. He had me questioning a lot of beliefs I have and how they influence my life. The book was well organized into chapters. The table of contents clearly shows what you will expect to find in the book. A lot of research went into this book. A bibliography at the end of the book is proof of this. The author states at the beginning that the information he presented was compiled over a period of fifty years. Everything about the presentation of the book appealed to me, such as the font type and font size. The author did not ramble about a lot of unnecessary things hence the book is just a short one hundred and fifty pages. The author did justice to the title of his book. He clearly explains that he considers himself to be in a wilderness crying out for truth about a lot of mythology and misconceptions.

The picture of the universe the author paints in one chapter is so magnificent, I cannot stop thinking about it. He says that there are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on the Earth. This is amazing considering that stars are millions of miles apart. I also like the reference of the Holy Spirit as a friendly sidekick. The premise I found to be most intriguing was that Jesus never ascended or resurrected. The author makes a lot of bold statements throughout the book. I admired and applauded his insights into the different subjects he discussed.

What I disliked about this book has to do with my convictions. I did not agree with some of the assertions made by the author. This is because I found them to either be far-fetched or simply unsupported enough by his words. Another dislike was that I did not find as many references to the Bible as I would have liked. To be fair, the author thinks the Bible is full of altered information. I also would have preferred it if the author had used capital letters when referring to God or Jesus as “He”. It shows a level of reverence I prefer.

All things considered; this book well deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The editing was good. I found only a few minor errors. My recommendation for this book would be to anyone who wants to know everything else that they will likely skip talking about in church. You will not be disappointed.

Wilderness Cry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I do believe that if everyone's priority was to love and take care of others throughout the world, most of Earth's problems would disappear. I would be interested in seeing what the author has to say. Thank you for an interesting and informative review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The book offers readers new ideas, but also criticizes Christianity quite sharply. I think this is exaggerated, because the civilizational role of Christianity is indisputable.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”