Review by sssns -- Final Act by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Review by sssns -- Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Act" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

VT2 is a highly advanced fitness watch with an unusual feature. It can predict that the wearer is dying in a couple of days. The unique capability of the gadget allows the owners to act on their final wishes before their time runs out. But the technology produces an unintentional consequence. The receivers of the warning, who are also gun owners, are associated with trending violence. To atone for the unintended downside of his creation, Vijay Patel collaborates with the FBI to prevent further harm. Utilizing the data from previous VT2-related shooting incidents, he updates his invention to help law enforcement intercept the murders. With the upcoming presidential election, public safety and national security are of utmost concern. The protection of the candidates and high-profile politicians is the main priority. However, a new pattern of shooting incidents emerges. The murders seem motiveless, and the perpetrators have no connection with their targets. Are these cases isolated or organized?

Final Act by Van Fleisher is a scientific mystery novel and the second book of a series. The science and mystery elements come into play. The science and technology behind the VT2 watch are integral components of the plot. These elements are few, but the explanations are easy to digest. It will not deter those who are unfamiliar with scientific concepts and technical language. The mystery components weave into the science and add tension to the story. For example, perpetrators slip past the FBI despite the advanced technology of the surveillance. It leaves the readers thinking that someone might be tipping the shooters.

The book reflects the current society and presents the different dimensions of relevant social issues. The familiar political setting and gun culture provide context. In the story, guns are tools to either harm or protect. However, it also presents situations that do not involve guns for similar purposes. When attacked in their house, the wife of Vijay uses her MMA skills to defend herself. After the incident, Vijay installs security alarms and gets a dog. Likewise, the story shows that assassinations may happen without the use of a gun.

The stories of the VT2 owners leave thought-provoking questions about their final acts. Are they offenders or victims? Is it justice or revenge? The complexity of their circumstances stirs up the perception of the readers regarding the topics. It is what I like best in the book.

The storytelling uses the omniscient third-person perspective. Presenting different perspectives from the characters and situations provides the readers a more comprehensive view of the plot. It is effective in examining the backgrounds and motives of the VT2 owners.

The story has a mix of complex and multifaceted characters to support the plot. Elderly folks, immigrants, mixed-races, strong women, and LGBTQ represent the composition of the society. The characters have their share of strengths, weaknesses, and even insecurities. These make them believable and relatable. The readers can also follow their transformation towards the end. For example, the wife of Vijay is a beautiful, brilliant and sensible woman. When her pre-pregnancy jeans do not fit anymore despite her strict fitness program, she feels upset. Ultimately, she leaves the old jeans at her parents’ house and accepts the changes of motherhood.

The book is the second installation of a series but a standalone. Likewise, the story closes with no loose ends but leaves enough subtle hints for a sequel.

The narration flows smoothly because of simple words and conversational language. However, there are profanities. There are also rape scenes but not graphic. The book does not contain offensive materials to any religious group. It is appropriate for an audience of 16 years old and above and will appeal to fans of mystery stories. Gun enthusiasts may also relate to the various types of guns mentioned in the book.

There is nothing I dislike in the book. It is equally engaging and thought-provoking. However, there are minor editing issues that go beyond the count to give a perfect rating. The errors are not distracting, and a few tweaks will fix them. That said, I give 3 out of four stars.

Final Act
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I've read several reviews on this book, and I find it interesting that almost everyone had unique takeaways from it. I am a gun owner, but I can't see myself taking revenge on someone because I knew I wouldn't pay the price for it. Your review approaches it from the angle of finding the commonalities between the killings, an interesting tack to take. I don't know that I'll read the book, but I enjoy hearing everyone's view on it. Thanks for sharing yours!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:

Kelyn wrote: 06 May 2021, 19:17 I've read several reviews on this book, and I find it interesting that almost everyone had unique takeaways from it. I am a gun owner, but I can't see myself taking revenge on someone because I knew I wouldn't pay the price for it. Your review approaches it from the angle of finding the commonalities between the killings, an interesting tack to take. I don't know that I'll read the book, but I enjoy hearing everyone's view on it. Thanks for sharing yours!
It does bring out unique takeaways. Thank you for sharing your thoughts too!
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I like that the book includes so many diverse perspectives. Thanks for your very thorough and informative review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think the plot is too imaginative and that dose of improbability somewhat impairs the quality of the book.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:

unamilagra wrote: 08 May 2021, 15:26 I like that the book includes so many diverse perspectives. Thanks for your very thorough and informative review!
Thanks for stopping by and for the comment.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:

markodim721 wrote: 11 May 2021, 11:13 I think the plot is too imaginative and that dose of improbability somewhat impairs the quality of the book.
I appreciate the feedback. Thanks for stopping by.
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

Murder mystery that has a scientific element attached. This book must be an interesting read and I want to try this. I have enjoyed your detailed review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”