Review by cd20 -- The Legacy of Job's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by cd20 -- The Legacy of Job's Wife

Post by cd20 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Legacy of Job's Wife" by Cynthia Koelker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What if the thing you were most famous for were the words that you regretted most? What if those words were passed on from generation to generation, refusing to be forgotten? Would you want to be remembered for thoughtlessly flung words? Job’s wife is famous for saying, “Curse God, and die!” I recently heard a comedian say that Job lost everything that mattered to him. He lost his kids, his livestock, his health, his wealth, yet God left him his wife. What does that communicate about her? Yet, in The Legacy of Job’s Wife, we develop a more sympathetic portrayal of who she is and what could have caused her to declare those fated words.

The Legacy of Job’s Wife is written by Cynthia Koelker. Cynthia is a family physician that holds undergraduate degrees in humanities and biology. She resides in Ohio, along with her family members (including two golden doodles), and often plays piano for her local church. Readers might also be interested in her non-fiction self-help book, Armageddon Medicine, How to Be Your Own Doctor in 2012 and Beyond.

I was completely drawn into this story from the first two lines, “Curse God and die. It’s true, those were my words.” The Legacy of Job’s Wife is a slow read, but captivating. The narrative is told from Job’s wife, Ix’ises, perspective. Ix’ises recounts from the beginning of her life, her story, and Job’s story, intrinsically woven together. This novel is one of love and redemption, forgiveness and healing.

I enjoyed this fictional account of Job’s wife and their life together. I have read the story of Job in the Bible many times. However, there is something about reading a fictional account, with more details of how it could have been, that compels you to feel the emotions of the first story. For example, I know that Job lost everything, his children, his livestock, his wealth, everything. When you read it in the Bible, it is easy to just say, that is terrible, I cannot imagine, because you are not given very many details. But, from the way the author wrote it, you can feel the emotions, the devastation. She has given us many details, including a glimpse into the grief and despair of losing everything. This not only gives me a feel of what it could have been like for Job’s nameless wife, but it also gives me a broader understanding and perspective of the account in the Bible.

There was nothing that I did not like about this story. It is easy to give The Legacy of Job’s Wife 4 out of 4 stars. From the skillfully written storyline to the meticulous editing (no errors), to the depth of the characters, this story is worth reading. I unreservedly recommend The Legacy of Job’s Wife to anyone who enjoys historical fiction and those who like to read fictional accounts of biblical stories.

The Legacy of Job's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Anusha Thatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

This is truly a captivating story. I didn't read the Bible or Job's story before, but this story piqued my interest enough to read about Job. Ix'ises character is really well-written. I enjoyed your review very much!
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

anua24060 wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 01:20 This is truly a captivating story. I didn't read the Bible or Job's story before, but this story piqued my interest enough to read about Job. Ix'ises character is really well-written. I enjoyed your review very much!
Thank you for reading my review and commenting. It really was a great story and Job is such a hard book of the Bible to read, but having read a story from his wife's perspective really gives a broader understanding of what could have caused her to say those words! I do believe that Ix'ises character is well-written and a captivating story :)
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Awesome review! It seems you really felt the story and the emotions within it. Enjoyed this as much as I enjoyed the book.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Eriny Youssef wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 16:52 Awesome review! It seems you really felt the story and the emotions within it. Enjoyed this as much as I enjoyed the book.
Thank you! I really did. It was so well-written, that even though it was a slow build, it was so good! I loved it.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book is on my TBR list. I loved your opening and how you described the author's writing. The history around Job's wife helps bring her to life. Thanks for your amazing review.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

kdstrack wrote: 03 May 2021, 16:34 This book is on my TBR list. I loved your opening and how you described the author's writing. The history around Job's wife helps bring her to life. Thanks for your amazing review.
I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did. I have read similiar books to this and have enjoyed them, but this one was extremely well-written. You are right, the history around Job's wife really did help bring her to life, and you actually feel sympathy for her, whereas when you read the account in the Bible, you are annoyed that she said that to Job. You don't really stop to consider her perspective. Thanks for taking the time to comment on my review.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

I think creative entries like this are important to personally understanding the Bible and its characters. Though we don't know much about her, I appreciate that this author invites people to consider her circumstances. Thanks for reviewing this book!
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

Fictional novel with a different perspective in life . The Life story of Jobs's wife. Thank you for the detailed review!
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Jagiine wrote: 12 May 2021, 16:45 I think creative entries like this are important to personally understanding the Bible and its characters. Though we don't know much about her, I appreciate that this author invites people to consider her circumstances. Thanks for reviewing this book!
Yes, I totally agree. The Bible should be our main source, but books like these help to give us a different perspective too! I really enjoyed the book. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
cd20

Post by cd20 »

DANAWEB wrote: 16 May 2021, 03:24 Fictional novel with a different perspective in life . The Life story of Jobs's wife. Thank you for the detailed review!
It was a very interesting book. It definitely helps to give us a broader perspective of how things could have been. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

I've never read this book before, but I'm intrigued now! I'm Muslim, so I've never read the Bible version of Job's story, but I've read the Quran's version multiple times. It's true that Job's wife seems insignificant and unimportant in the religious versions, so making her the main character here and sharing her story sounds like a difficult feat. This is definitely going on my TBR list!
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Sohana Hasan wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 08:59 I've never read this book before, but I'm intrigued now! I'm Muslim, so I've never read the Bible version of Job's story, but I've read the Quran's version multiple times. It's true that Job's wife seems insignificant and unimportant in the religious versions, so making her the main character here and sharing her story sounds like a difficult feat. This is definitely going on my TBR list!
It really gives a great appreciation to who Job's wife is and how it could have been. I felt that it was done really well. I have not read the Quran's version, so I am not sure how it is different from the Bible's version, but Job's wife is barely mentioned in the Bible, and she is not named. I would love to hear your thoughts once you have had a chance to read the book :D
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

cd20 wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 13:29
Sohana Hasan wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 08:59 I've never read this book before, but I'm intrigued now! I'm Muslim, so I've never read the Bible version of Job's story, but I've read the Quran's version multiple times. It's true that Job's wife seems insignificant and unimportant in the religious versions, so making her the main character here and sharing her story sounds like a difficult feat. This is definitely going on my TBR list!
It really gives a great appreciation to who Job's wife is and how it could have been. I felt that it was done really well. I have not read the Quran's version, so I am not sure how it is different from the Bible's version, but Job's wife is barely mentioned in the Bible, and she is not named. I would love to hear your thoughts once you have had a chance to read the book :D
It's similar in the Quran version. It's been a while since I've read the story, but I think she's portrayed as a faithful, dedicated partner to Job in the Quran. However, she is still nameless and she doesn't seem very important to the story: Her only task is (basically) being a dedicated wife.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Sohana Hasan wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 09:28
cd20 wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 13:29
It's similar in the Quran version. It's been a while since I've read the story, but I think she's portrayed as a faithful, dedicated partner to Job in the Quran. However, she is still nameless and she doesn't seem very important to the story: Her only task is (basically) being a dedicated wife.
Then it is very similar! Thanks for taking the time to comment on the review. I really hope you enjoy the book when you get a chance to read it :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”