Review by Monishka Sharma -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Review by Monishka Sharma -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Monishka Sharma »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas is a book about loving, hurting and healing. Moreover, it covers social issues like racism, sexuality and harassment. The story revolves around a girl named Kalayla who is young, aggressive and doesn't have any friends. Her mother is a single mother and works hard to pay the bills. When they move to a new apartment, the landlady, who also happens to live across their apartment, starts worrying about Kalayla and does her best to keep her busy, so she doesn't wander off in wrong company. Gradually they develop a familial bond and starts healing. The old landlady has a sorrowful past and when she meets the girl, she sees her boys in her. Kalayla's mother has been disowned by her parents consequently has no external help. She is an artist who quit painting due to financial problems after her husband was killed in a car accident. This book portrays different relationships and the process of healing together. It also touches some hard social issues and how people used to be helpless under such circumstances.

I loved how the different stories of different families flowed so smoothly. When I read the description, I didn't think it would be this good. The portrayal of the little girl Kalayla is on point. She is sharp-tongued and shows disrespectful behaviour but that gradually changes as she becomes more mature with time. This book gave me an inspirational character that is Kalayla, who is very young and yet she somehow finds what she wants and does everything she can to make that happen. I never thought I could get inspired by a little girl's character but here I am. Other than Kalayla, there are other characters that are self- dependent and hardworking. They proved their worth despite all the hardships of life.

The part I didn't like much was when Kalayla goes in the sarcastic and disrespectful mode even around good people. But that's just how her character is meant to be, and the writer did an amazing job writing that character. Other than that, I loved it. I was captivated by the book and couldn't stop reading until I finished.

I didn't dislike anything in this book. Based on the positive points I listed above, I'm happy to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The editing was exceptionally well done because I noticed only a few typos. I enjoyed it thoroughly and loved the characters. The book is sometimes a roller coaster of emotions and sometimes it is as peaceful as it can get. It is a perfect fiction book. Writer did an exceptional job here.

Anyone can enjoy reading this book and enjoy it. The characters are inspiring and empowering. Also, it presents why racism and such mindsets are wrong, in a very non aggressive and efficient way. Mention of sheltering and helping stray animals is one of the plus points and it will inspire anyone to be kind towards homeless animals. Overall, any person can enjoy this book and learn from it.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Monishka Sharma »

This was a small rollercoaster ride of emotions.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”