Review by Booklover Becca -- Rediscovering the Wisdom of...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Review by Booklover Becca -- Rediscovering the Wisdom of...

Post by Becca Olsson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature" by Chet Shupe.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature, author Chet Shupe explores how the human soul is currently under fire from society. He writes this book to bring readers’ attention to the brokenness of modern civilization and our obsession with planning for the future. He claims humans are not meant to live this way; we are meant to live as our primitive ancestors did, at one with nature and trusting in our feelings instead of trusting in the law. The beginning of civil rule was the ending of humanity’s ability to connect to one another. When we follow the rules of law and think only with our civilized minds, we are dishonest to our true selves. Without giving too much away, he leaves us with a hopeful note that, though it will take work, we may once again return to our natural states where we rely solely on our evolutionary wisdom to live our lives.

I don’t argue with some of the author’s main points. Society can feel broken at times and the rise of technology and social media sometimes feels like more of a burden that separates us rather than a lifeline to bring us together. However, my agreement of these points are the only positive aspects I could find while reading this book.
Although there are only a few typos, mainly extra comma usage, the writing style itself needs significant re-work. Of the just over three hundred pages before his CODA and appendices, it felt as though half of it could be cut due to what essentially amounts to incredibly repetitive ramblings. The author writes in an increasingly condescending manner, in essence claiming he is the only one to understand our unfulfilled desires to connect intimately. Overall, I found the writing to be very self-aggrandizing as Shupe begged for his words not to be taken as gospel because, as he says, he is only a man like everybody else.

The books feels as if it is two books, leaving a confusing message. The first half focuses on our need to only do what brings us pleasure. Anytime we do something we do not necessarily want to do, including work or school, we dishonor our emotional selves. Shupe complains that in the times before any civil rule, even before language, life simply worked itself out, yet in modern times, we must work for everything, including our relationships. However, in the second half he claims we are not meant to live for ourselves and what we truly need is to work for others.

Beyond the writing style and organization of the book, I take issues with many of the claims the author states as facts. Shupe does not simply give the impression that all bad things – domestic violence, drug use, suicide, etc. – will stop once we return to a society based only on emotions. He states it outright as a fact. These are not “problems” but simply “symptoms” of a broken society. At one point, he begins a statement with “fact” and follows it with an observation of our souls that can be neither proven nor disproven and, therefore, is not a fact. Beyond these ridiculous claims, he blames the development of language for many of the faults within society. He believes that in a perfect society, there will be little to no need for the verbal word. Instead, body language will be used. Combining such ideas creates the disturbing notion that without the words to describe sadness, loneliness, anger, etc., they simply won’t exist and we will be left with only happiness.

The examples given are only a sample of the author’s erroneous claims. It felt at times as though the motivation behind this book was simply to complain about relationships. He took the classic idea of “I was born in the wrong decade” to a comical new height as he describes our only hope to be a return to a pre-language, pre-civil rule society where to make any sort of plan would be blasphemous against our natural state.

As stated, the proof-reading only had small problems and appeared to be professionally edited. However, simply good editing and fair points about societal flaws do not make up for the author’s wild leaps in judgment or his overall arrogant writing style. Therefore, I rate this book one out of four stars.

I cannot honestly recommend this book to anyone as it sits right now. Potentially with some major plot edits and the removal of large, repetitive sections, it may be a good fit for people looking for a new perspective on modern life and our lack of happiness.

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

It is sad that you had to suffer all the demerits of this book, just to get us an honest glimpse of its content. Thanks for the review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:

Post by Becca Olsson »

REIGNING20 wrote: 06 May 2021, 02:46 It is sad that you had to suffer all the demerits of this book, just to get us an honest glimpse of its content. Thanks for the review.
I kept waiting for redeeming moments and there were a few, but certainly not enough to take away from everything else. Thanks for stopping by!
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Sorry the book didn't meet your expectations, and thanks for the detailed and honest review.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Interesting message the author has. I'm not sure I entirely agree with it, though. I like to do both; live in the moment and plan for the future. Thanks for your encouraging review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:

Post by Becca Olsson »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 06 May 2021, 15:13 Interesting message the author has. I'm not sure I entirely agree with it, though. I like to do both; live in the moment and plan for the future. Thanks for your encouraging review!
Exactly. There’s a healthy balance between the two and also doing things for yourself in taking breaks from work. I could be misunderstanding, but he seems to think primitive societies never worked or stored food for the winter and such. Thanks for the comment
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:

Post by Becca Olsson »

Saint Bruno wrote: 06 May 2021, 14:39 Sorry the book didn't meet your expectations, and thanks for the detailed and honest review.
Thanks for the comment, I definitely encourage people to read it for themselves, and if you do, just let me know what you think
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You make some good points here. It's sad that this was so disappointing. We could all use some ideas as to how to turn things around.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:

Post by Becca Olsson »

kandscreeley wrote: 06 May 2021, 17:34 You make some good points here. It's sad that this was so disappointing. We could all use some ideas as to how to turn things around.
I agree. I take no issue with the flaws in society the author points out. I just don’t agree with his more controversial ideas and his one-dimensional view that everyone will be happy by default. We could definitely use more ideas though on how to create a balance in our lives and express ourselves
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I can not imagine life right now without laws, work, or education. I'm afraid of what would happen if everyone could do whatever they desired without the fear of repercussions for bad decisions. This book sounds very far-fetched to me. I appreciate your honest and informative review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:

Post by Becca Olsson »

Prisallen wrote: 07 May 2021, 08:18 I can not imagine life right now without laws, work, or education. I'm afraid of what would happen if everyone could do whatever they desired without the fear of repercussions for bad decisions. This book sounds very far-fetched to me. I appreciate your honest and informative review.
I completely agree. With the number of people on the planet, I feel like it would go so wrong so fast to simply take all the structure away
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

Thank you for your honest review. I, for one, cannot stand blaring contradictions and unnecessary arrogance in my library. I think I'd prefer for the book to have thrice as many grammatical errors than either of the above.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:

Post by Becca Olsson »

Jagiine wrote: 07 May 2021, 16:35 Thank you for your honest review. I, for one, cannot stand blaring contradictions and unnecessary arrogance in my library. I think I'd prefer for the book to have thrice as many grammatical errors than either of the above.
I feel the same, especially about the arrogance. Thanks for the comment!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for a well-detailed and honest review. Sorry, you didn't enjoy the book.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:

Post by Becca Olsson »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 08 May 2021, 00:13 Thanks for a well-detailed and honest review. Sorry, you didn't enjoy the book.
I’m glad you liked it. Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”