Review by Ada Ling -- There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom! by Trish Ostroski

Review by Ada Ling -- There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!

Post by Ada Ling »

[Following is a volunteer review of "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!" by Trish Ostroski.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I first picked "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski, I thought it was a children's book. After opening the book, I was surprised to find out it is a memoir. Trish is a writer, journalist, volunteer, and stand-up comedian. In this book, Trish walks the readers through a diverse array of adventures and pursuits in her life. The author also shares valuable life lessons in the process.

The structure of this book is simple. It is a collection of life experiences from the author and his friends. Trish's experience as a Peace Corps volunteer was so interesting that I could not stop reading anything about it. Each chapter is short and easy to read. At the end of each chapter, the author gives a quote to highlight what she wants the reader to take away. The author is a brilliant storyteller who shares her journey and wits.

The overall tone that the author presents is uplifting and optimistic. Trish had blues in her life - The earthquake destroyed her house and other assets. She has no money left. But I did not feel any bitterness from the author. The whole book shares stories and information just as the reader is sitting at the kitchen table, chatting with Trish and getting to know each other cheerfully. The entire reading process is easy and relax. The author's warm and upbeat tone is the thing that attracted me to read through the book. Trish is straightforward to point out life is not just flowers. Yet, she encourages the readers to embrace the changes and try new things. It does not matter whether you are qualified to play or not. Just as LA marathon, as long as you want to run, you can attend.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This book has several negative elements that prevent me from giving a higher score. Firstly, there are quite a few grammatical errors, including punctuation marks and spacing format. In the middle of the book, the author puts a description after each photo. Some photos and descriptions are on the same page. Some split into two pages, which is not convenient to read. Furthermore, the author tries to cite as many stories as she can. I try to get to know more about one specific story, and the author already shifted to another. It would be better to go deeper with some stories — for example, the NASA scientist Andrew Thomas' visit. Moreover, though a couple of the stories are real and intend to tell some life lessons, I do not feel special. Thus I do not know how much I can get from these stories as a reader.

If you are looking for a book that gives you step by step hands-on guide, this is not a book for you. However, this is a motivational book that can encourage you to explore and live your life to the fullest. Trish and the ones around her had ups and downs. They embraced them and survived. So can you. Trish also tells the readers that serving people can be fulfilling and rewarding. If you are thinking about volunteering in the Peace Corps, you can also look at this book.

There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”