Review by Maliha Mascud -- Living Abroad: Challenging th...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maliha Mascud
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-mascud.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review by Maliha Mascud -- Living Abroad: Challenging th...

Post by Maliha Mascud »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life" by Jim Santos.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever experienced an overwhelming urge to live in a new place where no one knows you? Or maybe you want to move because you don't want your government policies anymore? You may also have paid a visit to a country you like, and you are fascinated by its natural beauty, as well as its people, culture, weather, and cheap food and services, so you also want to experience living like the natives. If you're on the edge of applying for a visa and purchasing a plane ticket, before you do so, take a seat first and read Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos.

It was in 2008 when Jim became a widow after the death of his wife Carolyn, who had been battling cancer for seven years. His life has been miserable, but he still clings to the hope of life. He looked for projects so as not to drown with pain and sadness caused by Carolyn’s loss. His life became like this, until by an unexpected chance, he found a new love, with Rita. Destiny played its part because their homes were never far apart, but they only met in 2009. The two soon got married and living happily together because of having the same interest in life, the desire to travel. They have visited many places until one country captivated their hearts and minds. In 2014, they left the United States and lived a simple but ecstatic life in Salinas, Ecuador. It was where Jim's mind began to open to things he hadn't thought of before. He had realized a lot, and it colored his world since he tried to live in a place that was different from the life he had lived, starting from the language, food, clothing, culture, and to the people themselves. He discovered many facts as an expat that he also wanted to share with others.

As someone who has always desired to live in another country, this book inspired me. It's as if the author is taking me on his journey, something I like best. The thrill didn’t escape me either while reading the short love story of the couple Jim and Rita. This is another good aspect of this book. It gives a lot of emotion that a reader like me can spontaneously feel. Moreover, Jim's revelation of all his experiences while living in Ecuador is mundane yet detailed, which convinced me that all scenarios mentioned are genuine. I also appreciate Jim's sincerity and honesty in writing this masterpiece.

Meanwhile, I encountered an error in grammar and lack of punctuations, which served as weaknesses of the book. The mistakes were not serious, but the lack of punctuations such as comma was a bit distracting. However, this did not preclude me from understanding the message that Jim wanted to convey.

Because of the mentioned factors, I give this motivational and inspirational book three out of four stars . There is a neat and organized sequence of events, and the subtopics match the need of the target audience. The only issue is the said negative aspects. Furthermore, I recommend this to adults who wish to live abroad, especially those who reached their retirement stage.

Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html

Post by Kavita Shah »

This book can be really helpful for those unaware what do they need to have in mind before travelling to new place. Thank you for a detailed review!
Maliha Mascud
Currently Reading:

Post by Maliha Mascud »

Kavita Shah wrote: 11 May 2021, 10:12 This book can be really helpful for those unaware what do they need to have in mind before travelling to new place. Thank you for a detailed review!
Yes, I certainly agree with you. The author shared the best topics for those people who wanted to live in a new place. Thank you for appreciating my work, Kavita!
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

This will be a valuable read for those who are aspiring to live another country. Thank you for the detailed review!
Maliha Mascud
Currently Reading:

Post by Maliha Mascud »

DANAWEB wrote: 15 May 2021, 13:38 This will be a valuable read for those who are aspiring to live another country. Thank you for the detailed review!
It is! Thank you for appreciating my review, Dana.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”