Review by MarveeAman -- Tales of the 70's by D.Done

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Review by MarveeAman -- Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by MarveeAman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Tales of the 70's" by D.Done.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tales of the 70's by D.Done is a collection of short stories that takes readers on a vintage journey back to the 20th century. This evocative collection is like a mirror, vividly reflecting the youth culture in the 1970s. Mostly our protagonists are young and unresolved characters. Each tale features a new introduction from the author, filled with insight and anecdotes offering the reader a deeper exploration of life in the big cities like San Francisco.

The writer is great at focusing on how life was like in the city of San Francisco in the early '70s, and it was a different type of place as of now. The book includes a variety of topics like drug addiction, homosexuality, crimes, scammers, etc. However, "Yesteryears Snows," the novella, is my favorite part of the book. It offers a story of a drug addict couple with a devastatingly depressing ending. Also, it gives a general sense of suburban malaise that reflects the societal chaos in that decade. These stories are different and quite riveting. Reading them is like going into a somewhat disturbing and somewhat familiar time warp.

There are a few things I like about this book. Firstly, the author's style of opening and closing stories. He avoided the traditional craft of "hooks" in the beginning and "clinchers" in the ending. Secondly, the author's style of writing is simple and easy to get along with. Sentences are short, clear, and to the point.

There are also a few things I did not enjoy about the book. Firstly, the author could have avoided some of the sex scenes, and they seemed excessive and unnecessary. Furthermore, the first and the last stories in this collection ended depressingly; giving this book an overall pessimistic outlook. Also, some of the stories lacked a real ending, to my preference. Finally, I craved some positive vibes throughout the book.

Unfortunately, the book is not well edited. I noticed several typos, grammatical errors, and spelling mistakes. The stories in this collection weren't precisely appealing, and some were even predictable. However, they were thoroughly engaging and I couldn't stop reading, even though I didn't really like many of them. Therefore, considering the above-mentioned reasons, I am rating The tales of 70's 2 out of 4 stars.

It is not appropriate for younger readers due to the sexual content and non-borderline profanity. If you are a sensitive reader regarding depressing or violent content then you should avoid this book. I believe the author has a lot of work to do to make this book enjoyable for readers. People brought up in the '70s might enjoy these tales.

Tales of the 70's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

MarveeAman wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 15:42 These stories are different and quite riveting. Reading them is like going into a somewhat disturbing and somewhat familiar time warp.
I’ve read a few reviews of this book lately, and your statements here seem to summarize the vibes I’ve sensed around this read.

Thank you for your thoughtful and honest take! :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like to have endings for my stories. For that reason, among others, I'll probably skip this one. Thanks for your thoughts.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”