Review by Mtibza eM -- San Francisco Values

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Review by Mtibza eM -- San Francisco Values

Post by Mtibza eM »

[Following is a volunteer review of "San Francisco Values" by Geri Spieler and Rick Kaplowitz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

San Francisco Values is a collaborative nonfiction book between Geri Spieler and Rick Kaplowitz. Gary is an investigate journalist and an award-winning author of the critical acclaimed, Taking Aim At The President, while Rick Kaplowitz holds a doctorate from Harvard University and has served as a senior executive in academia and in technology. Both these authors are different, but what they do have in common is the love for California, San Francisco, especially, and the United States of America as a whole. In this book, they have come together to show how San Francisco’s values have paved the way for itself, the United States, and the world. Once you start on it, you won’t put it down.

The book opens up with a beautiful introduction. The authors state how California receives 26 million visitors a year, 23 million from other parts of the US, and 3 million from abroad. They praise the vibrancy of California that continues to attract people from all over. They share how “San Francisco Values” have been branded by other people to be the three dirtiest words in politics. They continue to say that this book demonstrates how cherished San Francisco's values have much in common with the nation’s values; that they are indeed one nation with their strengths, their limitations, and their aspirations; and that they provide leadership on many issues.

In chapter one, titled “America’s Real Values,” the authors explain clearly what values mean in an American context. They, in detail, talk about health systems, reaching for the American Dream, and religion and faith in America. They then close the chapter by listing how you can take action, as an individual and as a collective, for your values.

Chapter 2, titled “The Evolution of Values, San Francisco style,” the authors go back and trace how San Francisco was established. They teach about the gold rush that drew people from all over. They again talk about higher education, how the University of California at Berkeley, the University of California at San Francisco, and Stanford University were established. In chapter 2, going forward, they talk about how California has been leading in innovations and how it has created many successful businesses. They also talk about the history of Asians in California, immigration and its policies, and many other things that make San Francisco what it is today.

Before I read this book, I did not like reading books about politics. I preferred getting newspapers if I wanted to read about politics. But this book was more than politics. It was about the history of San Francisco, its culture, lifestyle, and much more. I never yawned while reading it. I was just flowing through the sentences, jumping from one paragraph to another, turning the pages from one chapter to another. It was such a fantastic experience. Both these authors worked well together. They blended well. I couldn’t tell that it was written by two people.

The authors’ research on this book was awesome. I could tell that they knew what they were talking about. I have read about the trials and tribulations of San Francisco. I have also read about the injustice that this city has inflicted upon other groups of people and how it is working to rectify that. The authors were telling the readers that usually, it is up to them as the mass in every city worldwide how they want their cities and countries to be shaped. That’s why at the end of every chapter, they wrote, in bullet forms, about four things that people could do to end injustices in their areas. Like not voting for people who don’t embody their common values that don’t discriminate against any individuals’ rights, and how they can ask people in power specific questions that they are facing and see if they have answers or solutions. This message was commendable. Because as much as the youth of today can think that their votes don’t count, the reality is actually the opposite. If they didn’t count, they wouldn’t be asking for them.

This book seemed to be professionally edited because I only came across two errors. They didn’t dilute the quality of the book, though. The book doesn’t discriminate in any form or shape. For that, I am happy to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It deserves it. I recommend it to everyone. Even if you are not into politics, this book’s message is to be heard by everyone, including you. Immigration, homelessness, LGBTGIA+, drug addiction, and sex education are topics covered in this book.

San Francisco Values
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The authors place the readers in the culture of the city by describing its history. The suggestions at the end of each chapter tie the past with the future. I enjoyed your description of the author's ability to write as one. Great review!
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

This seems like an interesting non-fiction book that has been done with good research and writing. Thanks for putting up a greatly detailed review!
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

I really enjoy non fiction books and this one seems very interesting. From the reviews I have read this book is generally very well like. Great review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

This seems like a very documented book that might be interesting for people from San Francisco. It is interesting to imagine how 2 people could write a book :) Thank you for this amazing review, it was a pleasure reading it!
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

It's interesting that the authors could collaborate so smoothly that the reader cant distinguish their voices. It would definitely be interesting to read about another place's culture, values, and more. As always, thank you for the detailed and insightful review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

Your review was wonderful and thorough. It sounds like the two authors worked well together. I especially like that they include bullet points on what the readers can do about injustices they see and/or face. I'm wondering, does the book discuss Harvey Milk at all?
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Rwill0988 wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 21:07 Your review was wonderful and thorough. It sounds like the two authors worked well together. I especially like that they include bullet points on what the readers can do about injustices they see and/or face. I'm wondering, does the book discuss Harvey Milk at all?
Thank you for such kind words. And yes, Harvey Milk is mentioned numerous times.
smolbird wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 08:36 It's interesting that the authors could collaborate so smoothly that the reader cant distinguish their voices. It would definitely be interesting to read about another place's culture, values, and more. As always, thank you for the detailed and insightful review!
Thank you very much, Smolbird. Your words mean so much to me.
raluca_mihaila wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 07:37 This seems like a very documented book that might be interesting for people from San Francisco. It is interesting to imagine how 2 people could write a book :) Thank you for this amazing review, it was a pleasure reading it!
Not only for people from San Francisco, but the rest of the world also. Issues discussed here are universal, and helps us to take what San Francisco has led on to make it ours in our unique countries.
Marcel Cantu wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 07:25 I really enjoy non fiction books and this one seems very interesting. From the reviews I have read this book is generally very well like. Great review!
It is very interesting, I never got bored even once reading it. Thank you for stopping by!
SamaylaM wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 01:12 This seems like an interesting non-fiction book that has been done with good research and writing. Thanks for putting up a greatly detailed review!
Thank you so much, SamaylaM.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Mtibza eM »

kdstrack wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 17:41 The authors place the readers in the culture of the city by describing its history. The suggestions at the end of each chapter tie the past with the future. I enjoyed your description of the author's ability to write as one. Great review!
Thank you very much. Indeed their collaboration was superb and outstanding.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Sounds cool; just like you, I don't read books about politics, so I had no intentions to pick this one up. Your amazing review intrigued me though.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. I sampled this book before, and I like how San Francisco's government care for their residents. However, I don't really fancy the political details.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

What an interesting review! I think this book is not for me since I don't like the political aspects in the book.
S P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-p.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by S P »

This is a really detailed review, I enjoyed reading it. I'm not usually interested in highly political books but this sounds like it contains a lot more than just frank politics. San Francisco is an amazing city as well, with so much history - maybe I'll give it a read to learn more!
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Mtibza eM »

S P wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 07:13 This is a really detailed review, I enjoyed reading it. I'm not usually interested in highly political books but this sounds like it contains a lot more than just frank politics. San Francisco is an amazing city as well, with so much history - maybe I'll give it a read to learn more!
Me too. Political books I always shy away from them because they are always controversial, but this one was more than that. Please give it a try, you won't regret it. I promise.
TheMazeRunner wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 03:36 What an interesting review! I think this book is not for me since I don't like the political aspects in the book.
Oh, I understand. Thank you for taking your time to read and comment. I really appreciate it.
Sou Hi wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 02:47 Thanks for your interesting review. I sampled this book before, and I like how San Francisco's government care for their residents. However, I don't really fancy the political details.
Wow! That's amazing. Oh, I really understand.
MarianaFigueira wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 21:25 Sounds cool; just like you, I don't read books about politics, so I had no intentions to pick this one up. Your amazing review intrigued me though.
Thank you very much for your kind words. Hope you give it a try. :tiphat:
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the authors are proud of San Francisco and their state, but in a moderate and argumentative sense. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”