Review by Yvonne Monique -- Tales of the 70's by D.Done

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Review by Yvonne Monique -- Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Yvonne Monique »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Tales of the 70's" by D.Done.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tales of the 70’s by D. Done is a collection of seven short stories and a novella that the author wrote over 40 years ago. The stories have no connection between them and touch on a wide variety of topics. The setting of most stories is San Francisco. The reader will be introduced to many different characters, such as Zhen Hua, a Chinese bookstore owner who just found out that his wife is seriously ill, or Mr. Griley, a councilman who goes in search of the young man he has been dreaming of in order to escape his unhappy marriage. Some tales are funny, such as “The Cat Burglars” in which Lee and Mark try to steal an ocelot, and other tales will make the reader empathize with the protagonist, such as “Mack the knife” in which Mack tries to flirt with the waitress of a bar in downtown San Francisco. The book finishes with the novella “Yesteryears Snows.” This story describes the surrealistic experiences of Jeff, a young man who lives a life that is full of drugs, sex, and infidelity.

I liked the fact that the stories evoked different feelings in me, such as happiness, laughter, anger, or disgust. Some tales are thought-provoking, whereas others are just a light read. My favorite story was “The Cat Burglars.” Although it might seem impossible, this tale is actually based on a true story, published in the Oakland Tribune in the 1970s. I could also relate to the “Three Card Shuffle,” a story that reminded me of the hustlers that trick tourists into losing money in the tourist resorts of Mallorca, the island I live on. It was fun to read that the same fraudulent tactics are used in other parts of the world. All tales have a convenient length, and the format is ideal for people who do not have time to read long books.

However, I must mention a couple of things that I disliked. The tale “Blind San Franciscans” has a very abrupt, unsatisfactory ending. Although I understand that the ending is a reference to the title, I felt that many questions were left unanswered. Also, the book has a lot of errors. I found ten errors within the first twenty pages. Most of these errors were punctuation errors and spacing issues.

Considering the above-mentioned comments, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I cannot give the perfect rating because of the number of errors, but I do not want to give a lower rating because I enjoyed most of the stories. The book just needs another round of thorough editing.

Some stories have quite a lot of profanity and descriptions of sexual activity or drug use. Therefore, I do not recommend this book to young adults or to people who usually avoid controversial subjects. I recommend this book to people who enjoy short stories, who like to be surprised by unusual topics, and who can relate to life in the ‘70s. As the author says: “This is a book from a different era.”

Tales of the 70's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

The Cat Burglers piqued my interest. Short stories can be quite entertaining. Thanks for a detailed review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an anthology that contains diverse stories about controversial subjects, with only San Francisco in common for some of them. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

The fact that the stories made you feel different feelings is a good thing. It seems like an interesting collection, and it would be interesting to discover life in a different era. Great review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

It seems like readers are spoilt for choice in this book with a variety of stories. Thanks for a detailed review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I don't like abrupt endings, and usually don't get along with books about short stories, so this might not be for me. Thanks for the informative review!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I have noticed this book before, so it's great to read such a good review on it. Other than the errors, it seems quite interesting. Thank you :)
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. I agree that while most of the stories are pleasant, some of them are quite obscure and confusing. The messy editing makes it even worse.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like an interesting group of stories. I probably won’t read this book, but I enjoyed experiencing it through your review. Thanks for your lovely assessment!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Bookstore owners, councilmen, and stolen ocelots?! What a uniquely intriguing mix of short story themes. Thank you for providing such a nice analysis of this one!
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful review, I will definitely check this book out.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

Thanks for your review! It's nice that the book was overall so enjoyable, though the one story's ending wasn't great.
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

Hope I get to read this book soon, great review!
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This sounds like a unique read! I like the idea of the different short stories compiled together. It is too bad that some of the stories arent well finished.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

I am sure the author would send send the book for another round of proofreading. look forward to reading the edited version. great review!!!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”