Review by Steve_ -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Steve_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steve.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Review by Steve_ -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under...

Post by Steve_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is a science-fiction novel and the first entry in the We are Voulhire series written by Matthew Tysz. It describes the world of Voulhire and the experiences of various people living there. It features magic, religion and leadership.

Galen travels to Voulhire after the death of his uncle who had left him an iron forge as inheritance. He meets Rowan, with whom he has so many adventures together with in Voulhire. After two lords of Hillport are overthrown, the king appoints Eldus to reform it. However, things take an unfortunate turn as this attracts the attention of the Riva Rohavi who know nothing but destruction. Lord Meldorath is being kept prisoner while everyone is led to belief that he is dead. What could he be plotting? Is he really the most powerful mage to have walked Voulhire? The author also narrates about an Emperor who divided four islands among his four sons leading to civil war. Galen had just escaped from these lands and is very eager to explore the peaceful world of Voulhire. Will he finally be free to enjoy a peace, unlike he had experienced before? Is Voulhire as peaceful as one might think?

The first thing I loved about the book was that it is exceptionally well edited. This greatly enhanced the book's readability. I also loved the first-person narration style used for Galen's character. This helped me to more closely connect with him and made it clear that he was the main character. I also loved the storyline. Voulhire is a fictional world that has been well crafted to ensure that the reader is fully immersed and captivated by the reading experience. I commend the author for a book well written. The author offers an excellent and vivid description of scenery which made the book easy to follow and understand. Also, the author used titles named after the character to be considered which made the plot easy to follow. There is also a map at the beginning that offered a good visual aid of the world of Voulhire.

This first book introduces the world of Voulhire and there is not much plot and character development. It is not easy to contextualize since the book presents a new world. Luckily, I found the extended reading and glossary of terms sections provided very useful. The new characters and places are hard to keep track of at first but after I got used to it, it became easy to enjoy the book.

There is nothing I hated about the book. It is exceptionally well edited and there is only minor profanity or sexual content. Profane language is only used by Rowan's character but that only made him exciting. I congratulate the author for this book and would rate it four out of four stars.

I recommend the book to lovers of the genre. If you love books based on magic and kingdom wars, then you will find this one very interesting. I'm really looking forward to the next book in this series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The changing perspectives of the author's style of writing throws me off. I probably should try it again because so many people like this. Thanks for your perspective.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I loved it too, I think Matthew Tisz is an incredible author. Thanks for the insightful review!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Ace John
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ace-john.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ace John »

I'm glad Tysz had a good job with this one. Sound an amazing book for a next read. You have a wonderful review.
Jesus is Lord.
(Romans 10:9)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”