Review by Ondijo Junior -- Living Abroad: Challenging th...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ondijo Junior
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ondijo-junior.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Review by Ondijo Junior -- Living Abroad: Challenging th...

Post by Ondijo Junior »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life" by Jim Santos.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many times we want to go and live abroad, and change our lifestyle without really analyzing how life could be in that part of the world. We leave our countries blindly before surveying the country we are going to. Say no more as Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of the Expat Life by Jim Santos, has the answers to all our questions.

This amazing educative book describes the life of the author as an expat in Ecuador, the author, narrates all one needs to know before moving to a certain country. It is important to have a pariah knowledge of the place before visiting, the language they speak, the cultures, common means of transport among others, by doing this one will reduce the level of surprise upon landing in that country.

The 225 paged novel contains an average of 250 words per page, with no chapter but only some small subheadings. There was also a page break indicating the difference between the subheadings. At the end of the book, there is a brief history about the author, and a link one can use to ask a question or comment on the book which was unique to the author.

There are several aspects of this book that I liked, first the characters in the book were few that one could easily trace. I find the book to be plot-driven, and events are neatly organized. What impressed me most was the humor in the book, I kept smiling all the time whenever I was reading. I found myself curled up in my bed one evening and running through the pages to find out what I need to know about the places I wish to visit. I found the content of this book informative and helpful. It will be unfair if I fail to talk about the beautiful pictures distributed across the book that I found to be very attractive.

I would say the book was not professionally edited, and it needs another round of editing. It was littered with grammatical and spelling errors. It would be a great book if it underwent another round of editing. There was also some abbreviation used in the book without indicating their full meaning. The author must have assumed that all his readers will familiarise themselves with them.

I would proudly say that Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of the Expat Life is a book that persons from all religions and any gender can read.

I choose to rate this educative book 2 out of 4 stars . I never gave it full rating because of the few dislikes I found in it. I recommend this book to everyone, especially those who are willing to travel to other countries. It will be of great help to them.

Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Absenc Of Evidence, is Never an Evidence Of Absence
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I commend the author for providing information on what those aspiring to leave their countries should look out for. You've done a good job reviewing the book as well. Thanks!
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It's sad that a good story is destroyed by poor editing. Thanks for an invaluable insight!
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It will be good to have an idea of the place you go beforehand. The book's aim is to give a plan to all leaving to unknown places. It's a pity that it had so many errors. The author should have included the full forms of the abbreviations. Thank you for a informative review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”