Review by Bertha Jackson -- Pearl River Mansion

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review by Bertha Jackson -- Pearl River Mansion

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pearl River Mansion" by Richard Schwartz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz is Book 2 in the Underdog Detective series. If you want to solve a crime, PI team Stacy and Jack are who you want to hire. Follow them as they try to solve the mystery behind missing four-year-old Rachael and her grandfather, Billy Ray. Rachel’s mother is a country redneck who gets married to Tyler, the son of a wealthy and cultured family, after becoming pregnant with twins. Rachael’s family loves her twin brother, Cody, more than her because he is a boy. Daughters are not important to them. After Sarah is bitten by two water moccasins and dies, Tyler gives Rachael to his mother, Joan Chandler, to adopt her. Sarah’s parents, Billy Ray and Leeann Richards, also want to adopt Rachel. A battle ensues between the Chandlers and the Richards. The Richards are poor and live in a trailer, and Joan lives in a mansion and is rich. Tyler does not care as long as he is not bothered with Rachael, and he can move on with his life and marry his girlfriend, Pamela, who has a four-year-old son named Jacob. Billy Ray and Rachael disappear after Billy Ray breaks into the mansion to kidnap Rachael. Where are they? Was Billy Ray successful in kidnapping his granddaughter? What will Stacy and Jack’s investigation reveal? You will have to read the book to find out.

There are many things to like about this delightful and action-packed book. Richard Schwartz does a fantastic job keeping the reader sitting on the edge of their seat while the mystery becomes more and more complex. The reader will not want to put this book down until they have finished reading it. The development of each character enables the reader to know each of the characters personally. You will see Tyler’s self-absorbed and cruel nature, Sarah’s submissiveness, Joan’s holier than thou attitude, and Stacy and Jack’s determination, to name a few. As the characters walk through the woods, you will look down to see if there is a snake as they do. While on the boat in the river, you will visualize the alligators. I appreciate that Mr. Schwartz included a list of characters at the beginning of the book. This list helped me keep the many characters in the book straight.

There were a couple of things I disliked about this book. There is a lot of bias and bigotry in the Chandler family. Instead of considering all children as blessings, they have favorites and make no secret of the fact. They think black people are dirty because of the color of their skin. The determining factor of a person’s status is the color of their skin and the amount of wealth they have. I found these attitudes offensive.

I believe a professional editor has edited this book. I found only three minor errors that a professional editor could have easily overlooked in this 578-page book. The plot flows smoothly, and the book is an enjoyable read. There is no reason not to give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to teenagers and older readers who like crime thriller mysteries. There are some borderline profanity, child abuse, bigotry, bias, and gory content that sensitive readers need to be aware of.

Pearl River Mansion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Nick chiloane
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nick chiloane »

The Chandler family is full of prejudice and hatred. They have favorites and make no secret of it, rather than viewing all children as blessings. Because of the color of their skin, they believe black people are filthy. The color of a person's skin and the quantity of money they have determine their social rank. These attitudes irritated.
Saloni Amin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Saloni Amin »

The story line seems interesting and both Richards and Chandlers seem to be a complex family . Thank you for a great review. Looking forward to read this book.
Cleopatra banda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Cleopatra banda »

The book is good , encouraging to know how or where it's started for it ,to be solved,how to solve problems.
Victor Aniedi

Post by Victor Aniedi »

The book content really fit with the title and I love the way you structure them all. Thanks looking forward to view more
Segun Aturu
Currently Reading:

Post by Segun Aturu »

Story line seem interesting...well reading the book is the only way to find out
Jamaica Lamorena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Jamaica Lamorena »

The story is very interesting and should finish it 😊
Clinton wobodo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Clinton wobodo »

Interesting and motivating story, it teaches good morals on how to live a good lifestyle that would benefit us and the society,I love the book.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

Billy Ray and Rachael disappear after Billy Ray breaks into the mansion to kidnap Rachael. Where are they? Was Billy Ray successful in kidnapping his granddaughter? What will Stacy and Jack’s investigation reveal? I look forward to finding out. Thanks for the review.
Adenuga Adedamola

Post by Adenuga Adedamola »

The book content really fit with the title and Interesting and motivating story. I love it
Pawit Setiawan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Pawit Setiawan »

The content of the story in this book is very good and I am interested in reading it again
shanavas ms

Post by shanavas ms »

At long last got this book out of my mom's hands. I read it through in five days. Staggering characters. The composing is amazing! You will disdain a couple of these characters enormously and then again love an unassuming person whom the world necessities a lot a greater amount of. Genuine love, is making the right decision, without the requirement for consideration or monetary benefit. To be stowed away in the giving of much love, is an exercise this world frantically needs. It is to be imitated and increased. We are all to be the gatekeepers of the offspring of the world. I prescribe this book to young people and more established perusers who like wrongdoing thrill ride secrets. There are some marginal foulness, kid misuse, extremism, inclination, and bloody substance that touchy perusers should know about
Fatima Anne Yanto

Post by Fatima Anne Yanto »

I love this book!! The content of the book is very much interesting!
Emmanuel Adediran 1

Post by Emmanuel Adediran 1 »

The story book was very interesting and both Richards and Chandlers seem to be a complex family . Thank you for a great review. We really appreciate you keep the good work
Shaista Tariq

Post by Shaista Tariq »

This book is mysterious trill based books, whole story move around Billy Ray and his granddaughter Rachael. It is a good and motivation story. But it contain bigotry, bias, hate for black peoples and glory content.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”