Review by David11M -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
David11M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david11m.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by David11M -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by David11M »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I thoroughly enjoyed reading We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies. The story covers the current climate, both political and personal, in the country of Voulhire, and how dark secrets kept by the government affect it. The author, Matthew Tysz, jumps between characters of different stations to reveal more about this intricate world and its history. One character is Galen, a young refugee, who escaped a war torn land and is hoping for a peaceful life in Voulhire. Another is Lord Eldus, the new governor of Hillport who digs into the simple town's history and unearths unsettling secrets about the past governors.

Matthew Tysz has a large body of work behind him, and this shows in his incredible writing ability. He shifts the point of view between chapters and characters to great effect, altering the focus and the atmosphere of each scene. His writing style is easy to follow and captured my attention on every page. A lot of care has gone into crafting the cultures and people in this story. Each bit of text creates a clear image of what was being described and how it fit within this fantasy world. Most fantasy novels can have a hard time introducing outlandish or imaginary concepts as it can disrupt the story’s flow, but Matthew Tysz manages to introduce things organically.
I enjoyed the diversity between characters. It was easy to pick out their profession and philosophy in life through dialogue and description alone. This helped in carry the story by widening my understanding of the world. Galen is mild-mannered and wide-eyed, curious about this new land and the people he meets. Lord Eldus carries himself with both pride and humility. He questions the decisions made by himself and those around him and is cautious enough to investigate matters before deciding on a course of action.

The only complaint I have is that the book ended, and I have to find the next one to continue the story. There are some intense themes in the book, but they are never used for shock value. Some readers might be put off by the shifting points of view, however, this was no issue for me personally.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book has no errors that I could find despite not being professionally edited.

I highly recommend this book to any fan of fantasy novels. This should suit any fans of rich fantasy video games like The Elder Scrolls. There's magic, politics, evil mages, and a gripping story to keep you coming back for more. I look forward to reading more from Matthew Tysz.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”