Review by Valkyrie9 -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Review by Valkyrie9 -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by Valkyrie9 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“How does one bring a law-abiding citizen to break the social compact? How does one go about persuading a person to defy the evolutionarily-perfected construct of their own mind?” - We are Voulhire – Someone Else’s End, Pg 65

For some heroes, it can be said that death and destruction follow them. For Galen, Rowan and Demetrius, it is more like death and destruction await them just up ahead.

We are Voulhire – Someone Else’s End is the third novel in Matthew Tysz’s dark fantasy series We are Voulhire. The story picks up soon after where the previous book, The Fires of Virko, left off.

Our heroes have just returned to Magnum Caelum after fleeing the horrors that awaited them in Virko. Burning to help his home town, Demetrius travels to Yamon Soul to seek an audience with the head of the church, but to no avail. The new eiodi refuses to see anyone.

Hoping the king can help, the three friends journey to Soulhire, the grand and majestic capital of Voulhire. They find Rowan’s home town in the throes of a court case and garner an invitation to attend. The court case - revolving around whether or not Soulhire should open its borders to the refugees from the war-torn Lands of the Princes - is naturally of great interest to Galen.

Unfortunately, the kingdom’s enemies abound. The Emperor of Lullabies, ruler of the Lands of the Princes, is none too pleased by the idea of his refugees being granted asylum by Voulhire. He sends his terrifying, otherworldly soldiers, the nightynights, to Soulhire to drive his point home.

As if this is not enough, the evil Lord Meldorath moves forward with his plans, and the terrorist group Riva is finally ready to come out of hiding...

Tysz’s natural talent for story weaving once again shines in this next instalment of the series. He keeps with the format of the previous books, alternating perspectives between key characters or groups. Galen’s sections are again in the first person as expected. A welcome surprise was the introduction of Demetrius and then later Rowan as main characters, allowing them each their own first-person voice.

The author’s world-building, character development and attention to detail cannot be faulted. His world is fully developed, giving it an impressively real feel. From magic to politics, he hasn’t overlooked even one aspect.

If I had to fault one thing, however, it would be the unnecessary use of profanity. I always admire a writer more when they can get their point across without stooping to that level. In addition, there are sections where the diction becomes quite rough and coarse. Thankfully, these sections are fewer than in the previous two novels.

The captivating story, exceptional world creation and detailed characters are my favourite aspects of the series as a whole. However, pertaining specifically to this book, what I liked most was the character growth and development. I enjoyed how Rowan and Demetrius gradually pick up the first-person torch to join Galen as main characters.

Due to the number of errors, I do not believe that this book was professionally edited. It is worth noting that the errors were far fewer and much less glaring than those found in the previous books. For this, the author is to be commended.

I would recommend this book to all fantasy lovers. Nevertheless, there are several adult jokes, profanity and instances of graphic violence. For these reasons, I would caution sensitive and easily offended readers.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and would award it full marks if I could; however, due to the number of errors, I am forced to remove one star. I, therefore, award We are Voulhire – Someone Else’s End by Matthew Tysz 3 out of 4 stars. I look forward to rejoining the three heroes in the next book: We are Voulhire – The Knights of Chalethire.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the way the author designed a whole world full of magic and mystery. It can be seen that a lot of effort has been invested.
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

I always look forward to seeing we are Voulhire reviews. I haven't read this third book in the series but I must say, your review heightens my excitement and Interest in the series. I love how descriptive the books are and it's interesting to find that Rowan and Demetrius are main characters in this one. Thanks for a well structured review
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

I have read several books of this series and really enjoyed as it is combined with fantasy and places which are rarely heard of. Thank you for the detailed review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”