Review by Smmwallace -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Review by Smmwallace -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Smmwallace »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mindset by Ace Bowers is an inspiring memoir about one man's journey from having a turbulent childhood to being a prosperous entrepreneur and loving family man.

Growing up in the nineties, Ace Bowers was the youngest of three siblings, and together with his mother and father, formed the picture of an all-American family. Except the reality was Ace had anything but the all-American family he so desperately craved. Ace’s formative years were spent in a dysfunctional family with alcoholic parents and a wayward older brother constantly in and out of the system. This profoundly affected Ace's transition into adulthood. Dealing with anxiety, debt, a cigarette addiction, and being overweight all lent him to working as a janitor for minimum wage. During this time, he meets his future wife, Yuka, who doesn't judge him. Being with her, he gets his first glimpse of happiness. One day Yuka tells Ace she's pregnant with their first child. The surprising news brings Ace to a standstill. Still young, he finds himself at a crossroads. Either break the cycle of poverty and limitations set upon himself and meet the challenges of being a father, or continue down the path of being hopeless, helpless, and full of self-doubt. Ace is now a successful entrepreneur and happily married, with two adored and loved children.

Ace begins by describing the anxiety he constantly felt during his childhood and school years. Due to his parents drinking, life was unpredictable, and he learned from a young age how to read the mood of a room and whether it was going to be a good day. He also talks about his fear that friends would discover his chaotic home life. When friends ask why they don't go to his house after school, he learns to lie at the drop of a hat with any excuse possible as to why they can't come over. It was heartbreaking to read. His parents' relationship on its own was complex and tumultuous, and adding alcohol to the mix made life for Ace miserable. His brother was rarely home, and when his one protector, his sister, goes away to college, he describes feeling alone and trapped. I found myself wanting to reach out and comfort the young Ace. His relationship with Yuka was heartwarming. She was pivotal in his changing. She was someone he felt he could trust completely and who was going to love him unconditionally. When Yuka tells him she's pregnant, I was praying that he would make the right decision. The right decision being that he felt worthy.

I was amazed at his spirit. For any of us to say we're going to change ourselves is easy, but Ace not only talked the talk, he also walked the walk. He talks about working hard and that there is something to be learned from every failure or success. Money and achievement didn't fall in his lap, making it clear that all facets of his journey were through hard work, from losing weight to working multiple jobs. I liked how he made a personal conviction that any employment he took, he had to work harder than necessary and know more than he needed to. Calling himself an overcomer, having this mentality continues to help him to this day. The writing was healing for Ace as it allowed him to reconnect with his parents as a grown-up with an adult perspective, as well as that of a father too.

I found nothing to dislike about the book, nor did I detect any errors. The author's excellent writing skills made it compelling to read and easy to follow. It must have been difficult for the author to recount some scenarios in detail, so I appreciate how open and willing he was in sharing his experiences. Therefore, I gladly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to anyone who had a difficult or traumatic upbringing and looking for helpful inspiration. This book is also beneficial for anyone trying to better themselves as it's uplifting and motivational. I believe everyone can take away something valuable by reading this book!

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Ace Bowers has an interesting life story to tell. His life proves to the readers that one could actually get back up and gave life head-on
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

Eutoc wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 10:15 Ace Bowers has an interesting life story to tell. His life proves to the readers that one could actually get back up and gave life head-on
I agree! It's so inspirational. Thanks for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!
:tiphat:
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I have had the honor of reading this book and must agree with your review! It is spot-on.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It's an interesting story of a humble guy managing his way out. Great review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

There are so many books that promise inspiration and motivation, so it's hard to decide which ones are valuable. Thanks to your well-written review I can see this is a good one. Thank you for your recommendation!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

Nqobile771 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 01:13 I have had the honor of reading this book and must agree with your review! It is spot-on.
Thanks so much! I appreciate you leaving a comment!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 14:13 There are so many books that promise inspiration and motivation, so it's hard to decide which ones are valuable. Thanks to your well-written review I can see this is a good one. Thank you for your recommendation!
You're so right. This book was a great one! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate it!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

Dimi1 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 06:24 It's an interesting story of a humble guy managing his way out. Great review!
Exactly! Thank you for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This is a type of book I enjoy reading. Books that are inspiring and challenging. I must commend the author for being brave to still stand and be who he is today. Thanks for an insightful review.
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 13:49 This is a type of book I enjoy reading. Books that are inspiring and challenging. I must commend the author for being brave to still stand and be who he is today. Thanks for an insightful review.
I totally agree! Thank you for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”