Review by Precious Naiti -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Precious Naiti
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Review by Precious Naiti -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

Post by Precious Naiti »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies, is the first book in the Voulharian series by Matthew Tysz.The book starts on a very captivating note, with Lord Orlin being overthrown by a Magistrate known as Meldorath. Meldorath replaces Lord Orlin, becoming the new Lord of Hillport. He does not get to fully enjoy his newly found position though, as he is arrested 3 months after getting comfortable in his new rank. Meldorath is no ordinary man. He possesses powerful magic. What does magic have to do with Meldorath's removal from his position? What is Meldorath’s relationship with the person behind his arrest? Who will become Meldorath’s successor? The public is led to believe that Meldorath is dead, but is this true? The Riva Rohavi are known for notorious acts and, are they still in existence? These questions get answered as the story unravels, introducing more drama into the town of Hillport.

In another kingdom, there is a man known as the Emperor of Lullabies. This man has four sons who he suspects are up to no good. He believes that his sons want to overthrow him and take over the ruling of the kingdom. The Emperor allocates his sons to different places where they can each rule separately. He knew that each place had an advantage over the others and his sons would soon fight over each other’s resources. The Emperor was right. His sons soon fought each other in a war that lasted for 20 years. The places ruled by these sons were horrible to live in and in one of the places was a boy named Galen, who later runs away to Voulhire, after his dying uncle sent for him. In Voulhire, he meets two men who are very helpful to him. One man is Mayor Malcolm and the other is Rowan, who becomes his friend. The two go on an adventure and become some crucial characters in the book.

This book moves at a reasonable pace. I found that likable about it. It is a short read and the reader can get engrossed in the story easily. The descriptions of scenery made by the author were really good and painted a mental picture of where the events were occurring at each point and this gave the book a pleasant edge. Hints of humor can be detected here and there. The humor was just enough to keep the reader interested and removed a certain degree of seriousness that comes with the storyline of such a book. The author offers a map that shows the places mentioned in the book. I thought this was a unique and satisfying aspect of the book. A reference guide is found at the end of the book with words and phrases that are unique to Voulhire. That is also something I liked about this book.

It pains me to say that I disliked several things about this book. There were a lot of characters that were not contributing to the overall story at all. Galen’s story, when introduced, was interesting but his escapades were of no use to the story. The most disappointing thing about the book was that there was so much potential for a mind-blowing story that just was not delivered. The book also ended abruptly and did not offer any satisfaction. Since the book is only the first in the series, I suspect that the author was leaving more of the story for the other books. I am still divided about whether or not to continue the series.

My rating for this book is 2 out of 4 stars. The editing is also contributing to this rating as there were punctuation mistakes throughout the book. The pages were not numbered and this made it hard to track where I was reading. I recommend this book to mature readers who are intrigued by magic and find the concept of multi-universes engaging.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Sakura5 »

I read a great part of this series, and I agree with you, the first book was not one of the best developed. But if you are into sci-fi novels, I would suggest you give it a second shot, I really think the story and style improve with every book of this saga! Nice review :)
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Perfect by Judi Miller

Post by Prisallen »

I have not read any of these series, but I wonder if the characters will be developed more in future books. Anyway, I prefer to read standalone novels. However, I enjoyed reading your wonderful review!
Latest Review: Perfect by Judi Miller
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Where the spirit leads by Samuel Pardew
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I loved reading this book, but I agree with a lot of your points. Considering that this book is the first of nine (three of which aren't published yet), I guess it's reasonable that Galen, albeit being the protagonist, doesn't quite fit into the story yet. I would encourage you to read further, but I think you would be frustrated to know that Galen isn't as involved as we would like until the third or fourth book. Thank you for you insightful review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: Retaking Eden by Pastor D

Post by Eutoc »

The first book in this series has a lot of characters, but I can assure you that they were crucial in progressing the story in other books of the series. I hope you'd find solace in the subsequent books
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”