Review by Full Time -- Tales of the 70's by D.Done

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Full Time
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-full-time.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Full Time -- Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Full Time »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Tales of the 70's" by D.Done.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tales of the 70's is a collection of short and interesting stories written by D.Done. Set in San Francisco, each story revolves around two main characters in most cases, who make up the body of the story. Each story has a unique title that is only comprehended after you finish reading the whole chapter.

This book compiles different situations that happen in our daily lives. It talks about what we find on our local news when we switch on our media devices. It ranges from crimes of passion, in Point to Point After, which is the first story, to cults in, The Short Unhappy Life of Terrence McAkers. In between, there is a distribution of theft cases gone wrong, the chaos in the local drinking joints and homosexuality.

My favorite story in this book is, The Cat Burglars. This one was so funny and entertaining. I loved the characters, Mark and Lee, and how they correlated. Their trust issues are relatable, considering their work specialization. It's also funny how they build their friendship. The ending of this story climaxed my excitement. It was more fun than loss.

The author writes flowing stories with lively conversations. Each story has a special feel and the characters are introduced nicely. The writing makes you fall in love with the story and empathize with the characters. I also love how the author wraps up the stories. The endings come as a surprise, like I never expected Zhen and Leila to end up like they did. They were old, so great wisdom was expected from them. It's so sad because David looked up to them. He really envied what they shared and had grown so fond of Leila.

The author chooses a similar setting in all the stories, bringing out a familiar feel of the daily happenings in a community. It shows that something is always happening somewhere. The repercussions of the choices we make are also brought out clearly.

This being a collection of short stories, I expected a thoroughly edited book but I was a little disappointed. I came across a few errors that would be corrected by another round of editing. For this reason, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is a great book with rich storytelling. The author serves as an amazing onlooker who never misses a moment. I recommend it to adults who are looking for a good and fun read.

Tales of the 70's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: God's Clear Voice by Anthony Mark Ortiz

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like an interesting set of short stories. Now I’m curious about what happened to Zhen and Leila! Thank you for your thorough review. :balloon:
"Always be a first-rate version of yourself instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."
Judy Garland

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”