Review by Honest-reviewer -- Rediscovering the Wisdom of...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Honest-reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review by Honest-reviewer -- Rediscovering the Wisdom of...

Post by Honest-reviewer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature" by Chet Shupe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book, Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature is a non-fictional book written by Chet Shupe. This book talks about the ill effects of civilization and how it has taken a toll on humans.

This is a short book that consists of 148 pages divided into 20 chapters. Here, the author tries to explain the actual meaning of human life and what it takes to be truly happy without pressurizing oneself in terms of civilization. He compares the lives of us, the civilized people, and our great ancestors, who barely knew anything about civilization. The author beautifully tries to change the perspective of people by showing how overrated civilization is. He almost covers all the areas of life and shows how people mostly do things that they do not want to do and still think about why they are not happy. This book is a perfect resource that demonstrates the weighing down of human emotions and capabilities due to civilization.

The best part of this is that the author has provided many thought-provoking quotes throughout the book. One of my favorite quotes is: “We need to help our children to become more and more aware that what is essential in life is invisible to the eye.” The author has shown the excellent connection between emotions, thoughts, and the subconscious mind. One of the lines in the book that struck me the most is, “we are being spiritually dishonest every time we do things we don’t like.” I appreciate the author's perspective on equality between men and women. The points he has mentioned about the sisterhood in the book are impeccable. I liked the fact that he has also covered about the ongoing coronavirus crisis and how it has gotten us closer to spirituality and away from human interactions. I also liked the table given at the later part of the book that compares the spiritually based reality and legally imposed reality. This clarifies and justifies everything the author has spoken in this book. I can confidently say that this book is an eye-opener for me in many ways.

There is literally nothing that I disliked about this book. This book seems to be professionally edited, as I did not find any errors while reading. This does not contain any obscenity or profanity. With that being said, I rate Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature 4 out of 4 stars. I cannot rate this any lower because I loved everything about it.

I highly recommend this book to everyone who likes to read about human nature, spirituality, and the effects of civilization. This is also suitable for people who want to get a new perspective regarding human life and emotions. This book may not be suitable for people who do not want hear anything against civilization.

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Vacuuming is Just Indoor Mowing by Eric Brunson

Post by MsH2k »

It sounds like the author has some thought-provoking ideas about the effects of civilization on our spirituality. Thank you for your take on this read.
"Always be a first-rate version of yourself instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."
Judy Garland
maggi3
Currently Reading: Out for Good
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: A Divination of the Dog by A.M. Farrow

Post by maggi3 »

I’ve never thought about civilization as being overrated. That’s certainly an intriguing perspective, and I’m interested to hear more about why the author thinks that way. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Dimi1 »

It seems like an up-to-date book that successfully balances between spirituality and reality. Thanks for a great insight!
zainherb
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by zainherb »

Awesome! I agree with the author's premise. I have had thoughts along similar lines as well.
I will try to pick up this book.
Thanks for the great, detailed review.
:techie-reference:
Raluca_Mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The City Of Mirrors
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Onward to Kolmothra Volume One by Brian Warf

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

The author has some valid points, and I agree with the fact that we should reconnect with nature and listen yo our feelings. However, he is too subjective in considering that civilization is all bad and all the discoveries are evil. Also, I didn't resonate with his deep hate for institutions, like public school system. I loved reading your honest review, though. Great job!
Jeff Kanda
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Jeff Kanda »

I love reading about human nature, I think this is the perfect book for me. Thanks for the brief review, I enjoyed reading it.
Holly Fleming
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

Human Nature sounds like an engaging read. I also appreciate it when an author provides thought-provoking quotes. Thank you for a beautifully written review.
John Owen
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by John Owen »

What a controversial topic the author has taken! I like it when people think out of the box, because that's where change begin. Nice review!
I am the only version of myself.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”