Review by lumenchristi -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lumenchristi
2021 Reading Goal: 2
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lumenchristi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by lumenchristi -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lumenchristi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla is a captivating story I cannot forget anytime soon. It is the story of three amazing ladies of different ages and backgrounds. Lena, a 72-year-old grandmother who had been living an isolated life, and dislikes herself for being a failed mother. Maureen, a single mother who had lost her family and is trying her best to be a good mother to her only daughter, Kalayla. Kalayla, an 11-year-old girl very outspoken with a know-it-all personality. Lena developed an interest in Kalayla because her mother is too busy to properly look after her. Both families found companionship in each other and brought into each other’s lives a new shade of colour. How did this pan out? Find out in this interesting and hard-to-put-down book by Jeannie Nicholas.

First off, I must confess that the style of writing deployed by the author brought out the beauty of the storyline. Each character narrates the story from their point of view. The chronological arrangement of scenes ensured I wasn’t lost and gave more clarity to the book. The book is full of suspense and has flashes of humour. The characters are few and as a result, they are well-developed without sacrificing quality or creating confusion. The heat was turned on right from the first chapter till the last.

Speaking of the characters, Kalayla is an outspoken and pre-teen girl who is full of energy and believes she can freely say anything she wants as long as it pleases her. She is full of sarcasm, and this makes for some humorous situations. She seems to be a tough young girl, but I loved that she is correctable. Maureen, on the other hand, is fragile but with strong willpower. Few people can put up with what she had faced. Lena is a principled and no-nonsense grandma who failed as a mother, in part because of whom she married. I loved Kalayla’s and Lena’s conversations the most.

The book properly blends all the points of view of each character and contains tons of lessons. Through the reflections of the characters, you'll easily relate to the experiences of each of the characters which played an important role in the formation of their present behaviour. The book redefines what family is. Consistent with the book, a family is redefined as people that are there for each other in times of need. It shows that family is more than blood relations. It also teaches that regardless of how we are treated, we should always forgive and reach out to people willing to reach out to us. Also, parents should allow their children to follow their dreams and not impose their desires on the children. Only when this is done can both the parents and the children be truly happy. The book also teaches that the results of racism are never a happy one. There is peace in coexistence.

The book is efficiently edited because I found no error in the book. There is nothing that I particularly dislike about the book. Therefore, I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I will gladly recommend this book to parents and to those who love a book with a memorable storyline. It does contain some profanities, so I will advise children that are under 13-years to stay off this book. Also, readers that could be offended by abusive scenes might want to stay off this book. In all, Kalayla is a good book with an outstanding storyline.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi_78
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-78.html
Latest Review: Raiders of the Dawn by M. Benjamin Woodall

Post by Kirsi_78 »

I read this book a while back and loved every word of it. The unexpected friendship of three women from three different generations was beautiful, and I loved how they helped each other to grow.

Thanks for a nice review!
lumenchristi

Post by lumenchristi »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 15:23 I read this book a while back and loved every word of it. The unexpected friendship of three women from three different generations was beautiful, and I loved how they helped each other to grow.

Thanks for a nice review!
The story got me overwhelmed. It was emotional. Thank you for your comment.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Out for Good
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: A Divination of the Dog by A.M. Farrow

Post by maggi3 »

I love your statement that the book redefines what family means as people who are there for each other in times of need. I think you’ve really captured the essence of the book with that phrase! I agree that the writing style is beautiful, too. Thanks for a thorough review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: The Educator by Pamela Green-Nanni

Post by Marcel Cantu »

I love the exploration of the three women's stories. I enjoyed reading your review!
lumenchristi

Post by lumenchristi »

maggi3 wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 18:13 I love your statement that the book redefines what family means as people who are there for each other in times of need. I think you’ve really captured the essence of the book with that phrase! I agree that the writing style is beautiful, too. Thanks for a thorough review!
Exactly! We need to expand our view of 'family' so we can be there for those who need our help. Thanks for your kind comment.
lumenchristi

Post by lumenchristi »

Marcel Cantu wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 14:15 I love the exploration of the three women's stories. I enjoyed reading your review!
I appreciate your positive feedback. Thank you.
PeterRabitt20
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: Become A Covid-19 Superhero by Sheryl Crawford

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Kalayla's and Lena's conversation seems to be enjoyed by many; they were my favorite too. I like your observation that family can be more than blood-relation. Thanks for your wonderful review!
63tty
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Tales of the 70's
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

Im glad you liked the book. I read it and loved it so much. I just might reread it in future. Also, the author's writing style was excuisite. Thanks for the great review.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
lumenchristi

Post by lumenchristi »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 09:46 Kalayla's and Lena's conversation seems to be enjoyed by many; they were my favorite too. I like your observation that family can be more than blood-relation. Thanks for your wonderful review!
:D You can say that again! They gave me a swell time all through. Thanks for your comment.
lumenchristi

Post by lumenchristi »

63tty wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 11:57 Im glad you liked the book. I read it and loved it so much. I just might reread it in future. Also, the author's writing style was excuisite. Thanks for the great review.
Yea! I enjoyed her writing style as well. Thanks for your comment.
Koyna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koyna.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Koyna »

It is a very touching book. It highlights the fact that family is more than just a blood relation. In a way, I feel it is the main essence of the book. Great review!
Koyna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koyna.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Koyna »

It is a very touching book. It highlights the fact that family is more than just a blood relation. In a way, I feel it is the main essence of the book. Great review!
John Owen
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by John Owen »

I also read and reviewed this book and I can't agree less with you. The point of view brought out the narration really well and that made it enjoyable. We must agree that the book is also all too way emotional as well as educative at the same time. Great and Informative review!
I am the only version of myself.
lumenchristi

Post by lumenchristi »

Koyna wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 00:16 It is a very touching book. It highlights the fact that family is more than just a blood relation. In a way, I feel it is the main essence of the book. Great review!
Yea. In my opinion, I think that's what the author is trying to pass across. Thanks for your kind comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”