Review by Sejall7_ -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sejall7_
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sejall7.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review by Sejall7_ -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sejall7_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Based in the late 1990s, Cambridge,Kalayla is a story of three women who are so different yet so similar in way.Kalayla,Maureen and Lena have been plagued by their past. Lena, a 72-year-old woman or 'Crabby Old Lady', as Kalayla calls her, is someone who has her own demons to fight.She takes Kalayla under her wing and becomes a grandmother figure to her by treating her as her own. Kalayla, an eleven-year-old is a ball full of sass but on the inside, she is just a lost child who has been through a lot. Her widow mother, Maureen, is in her 30s struggling to make ends meet for her daughter and herself after her husband's demise. When their fates cross path, they can't help but be drawn to each other. Who said family is determined by blood? Their story will make you laugh and weep but most importantly, it will give you lessons to remember for life.

This book had me intrigued from the very beginning. The way the author,Jeannie Nicholas has portrayed the characters is simply phenomenal.Personally,Kalayala was my favourite character.Her witty replies had often brought a smile on my face. This novel educated me more about the problems faced by people of color. I like reading books that are from the first-person perspectives so that gets a bonus point from me.

I couldn’t find any errors in this book which makes me believe that it was professionally edited. Just a heads up to people who get triggered by domestic abuse, this book contains mentions of it but it's not discussed in depth.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 because I was captivated with the interesting plot and characters. Another reason for this rating is that this book has the ability to capture the readers’ interest from start itself. This book has no errors and is edited well.I would love to read the continuation of Kalayla's story.

This book can be read by anyone, but I especially recommend it to mothers.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Eutoc
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: Retaking Eden by Pastor D

Post by Eutoc »

I've read a lot of nice comments about this book. It's high time I picked one up
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
TheMazeRunner
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Think Big Scale Fast by Jolien Demeyer

Post by TheMazeRunner »

I am currently reading this book, and I love it! Great job!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”