Review by Njatha77 -- Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Njatha77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njatha77.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Review by Njatha77 -- Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)

Post by Njatha77 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)" by Barry Litherland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) is a crime-mystery thriller by Barry Litherland. It is written in the first-person point of view in the present tense. This device is perfectly executed to include banter and detailed descriptions of the other characters. The narrator is the main protagonist: a journalist named Philip. He is an unreliable narrator; he defers the revelation of information and digresses as the plot progresses — this device has also been perfectly implemented in this book.

A man has been severely injured during a burglary and a mysterious package stolen from his safe. This package contains documents about a shady business deal that would expose powerful people if disclosed. Wayne, Philip's best friend, is the prime suspect, owing to his knack for getting into trouble since he was a child. Additionally, he had been seen at the scene of the burglary. The people who would be implicated will do anything to prevent the contents of this package from being revealed. Philip is depicted as the only one who, while not having the package, has the means to retrieve it from Wayne. However, given Wayne's relationship with the injured man's daughter, Philip believes Wayne is innocent. For this reason, he must find the true culprit for three reasons; first, he is a journalist and in need of a story, second, he needs to prove that his friend is innocent, and third, his life is in danger. The people who would be implicated have threatened Philip, blackmailed him, and even injured him as an incentive to make him retrieve the package.

Philip will investigate a missing person's case, burglary, and even murder before the true culprit is found. Will he succeed? Will he survive long enough to find the true culprits? Who are the true culprits? Does Philip, a minor-league journalist, possess the detective skills that he will need for this quest? Only the final pages will tell.

There are so many aspects I loved about this book — I'm probably not going to list them all. Being a mystery novel, it probably goes without saying that the first thing I loved about the book was its gripping suspense. The author made it hard to know who the true culprits were. I loved following along guessing only to have my guesses turn out to be wrong. Every chapter brought more twists and mysteries. Shortly after solving one mystery, a fresh (even more convoluted) one would build from the one just concluded keeping me well hooked till the end. The author has done excellent plot and character development in this book. Every character is described in great detail – occasionally revisiting their childhood lives. This will help the reader understand and connect with the characters better.

The plot is easy to follow and understand. The writing style allows you to share Philip's fear, anger, and hopes as you read along – at times compulsively helping him make decisions. The book creates a sort of mysterious convoluted web then goes on to unravel piece by piece until everything is revealed in the final chapters. The first pages are about setting the pace as characters are introduced and developed. Then the plot gets more convoluted as the story progresses – more twists and more players being added to the mystery. Finally, the mystery is unraveled bit by bit until the full picture is portrayed in the end.

There is nothing I disliked about the book. It is professionally edited as I didn't find even a single typo or grammatical error. This is one classic novel; the gripping suspense will ensure you keep turning the pages till the end. I would rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Kudos to the author for a book well penned and a plot well executed.

I would recommend this book to lovers of the C/T/M/H genre. There is intense character-driven swearing and profanity thus this book might not be suitable for young readers. Nonetheless, the book is very intriguing, and you don't have to be a C/T/M/H lover to enjoy it.

Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Difficulty keeps it interesting!"
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

This seems a gripping and well-written mystery novel, surely worth a read. Thanks for the nice review!
Njatha77
Currently Reading:

Post by Njatha77 »

Sakura5 wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 13:32 This seems a gripping and well-written mystery novel, surely worth a read. Thanks for the nice review!
I can almost guarantee that you will enjoy it. :D
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love books with gripping suspense and with twists and turns that keep one trying to figure out the mystery until the end, so I think I would enjoy this book. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Njatha77
Currently Reading:

Post by Njatha77 »

Prisallen wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 10:41 I love books with gripping suspense and with twists and turns that keep one trying to figure out the mystery until the end, so I think I would enjoy this book. Thanks for your wonderful review!
You most certainly would. Welcome.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I appreciate mystery books that actually keep you from knowing the real culprits up until the reveal. Definitely going to read this one someday. Thank you for the review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Njatha77
Currently Reading:

Post by Njatha77 »

smolbird wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 07:15 I appreciate mystery books that actually keep you from knowing the real culprits up until the reveal. Definitely going to read this one someday. Thank you for the review!
Totally worth the read. You won't be disappointed.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Your review is very descriptive of the book content. I hope to get to read the book someday
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Njatha77
Currently Reading:

Post by Njatha77 »

Eutoc wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 09:47 Your review is very descriptive of the book content. I hope to get to read the book someday
Thank you for your positive comments. I'm glad you like it.
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

I love crime mystery stories and this sounds like a dimensional, captivating story. I enjoyed reading your thorough and well-written review.
Njatha77
Currently Reading:

Post by Njatha77 »

Marcel Cantu wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 15:24 I love crime mystery stories and this sounds like a dimensional, captivating story. I enjoyed reading your thorough and well-written review.
Thank you. Barry Litherland did a very good job with this one. I can guarantee you will enjoy it.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I just finished the book and I agree with you 100%! The writing style is absolutely amazing, and the plot is full of suspense. I loved reading your engaging review!
Njatha77
Currently Reading:

Post by Njatha77 »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 10:41 I just finished the book and I agree with you 100%! The writing style is absolutely amazing, and the plot is full of suspense. I loved reading your engaging review!
And I hear Phil returns for a sequel! Can't wait to lay my hands on it.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Njatha77 wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 03:40
raluca_mihaila wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 10:41 I just finished the book and I agree with you 100%! The writing style is absolutely amazing, and the plot is full of suspense. I loved reading your engaging review!
And I hear Phil returns for a sequel! Can't wait to lay my hands on it.
This is great news! Me too :)
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I really enjoyed this book! You have written a really nice summary of the book. I love your description of Phil at the beginning of your review!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”