Review by Mtibza eM -- There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mtibza eM
2021 Reading Goal: 66
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Last Lumenian
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: San Francisco Values by Geri Spieler and Rick Kaplowitz

Review by Mtibza eM -- There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!

Post by Mtibza eM »

[Following is a volunteer review of "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!" by Trish Ostroski.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There’s a Rooster in My Bathroom! by Trish Ostroski is a fascinating book. It is different from other books because it combines two genres, and the results are just simply good and amazing. I liked reading this book, and I am sure you would too.

In this book, the author writes about her life. In the first chapter, she starts by telling about the time she participated in the Los Angeles Marathon in 2005. She shares what this experience has taught her and made her realise. At the end of the chapter, she motivates readers with few words, and she shares this quote by Mark Twain: “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”

In the second chapter, she shares her memories of working in Hollywood. She was fortunate enough to produce the Red Carpet Awards in Los Angeles. The author proceeds to share her experiences, how she has met celebrities, and people she has adored for so long from afar. She also writes about her past job as a theatrical reviewer. In the rest of the book, the author shares almost everything about her life, how she has worked in several countries through an NGO assisting disadvantaged and less fortunate communities. How she has travelled to all 50 states. She talks about the relationships she formed throughout the years, people that touched her life in a big way, and learning more about others.

To be honest, when I picked this book, I didn’t know exactly what to expect. At first glance, I thought it was a children’s book. After reading its title, I got fascinated, and I kind of knew from then that this wasn’t a children’s book. While reading the book, I was surprised in a good way. It is rare to find an autobiography that is also self-motivation. It is rare to read books where the author motivates and entertains from her/his past experiences. What Trish Ostroski did here was something else.

This book was flowing seamlessly that I did not get bored. The chapters had hilarious titles. Indeed the author can make an exciting story out of a thing that you and I may consider mundane. My favourite chapter in the book is chapter 30, titled “Followership.” Here, the author got a little bit serious by going back to her youth and sharing what she had written when she was young about the opposite of leadership, which is followership. Her younger self was indeed ahead of her times because what she wrote there made perfect sense, even today. Sometimes we are so obsessed with being in leadership positions that we don’t take time to think about followership. Without followership, there is no leadership, and being a follower doesn’t mean you are a loser or something like that. You are just as special as a leader. This chapter was beautiful, although it was very short. I just wished the author could have said more about this.

What I didn’t quite like about the book is that although it is different, its results were not quite satisfying. I know I have praised the author for her ability to make a great story out of a mundane thing but, I didn’t like the motivations that she shared on every little small thing that she had to do. For example, in chapter 20, the author shared how she had found a rooster in her bathroom, and at the end of the chapter, she was now motivating people to not get “weirded” out by small things such as this one. She then talked about how she and this rooster may have become a kindred spirit. I rolled my eyes at this. Again, I don’t understand how the title of this book fits in this book. I guess the author used her marketing skills and used the title as clickbait. She succeeded because I managed to get the book.

Besides that, the book was filled with humour. Trust me when I tell you that the author shared a lot of jokes in this book. I came across one misspelled word. Besides it, I didn't come across any other kind of errors. There are no sex scenes or usage of profane and vulgar language. Because of that, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Readers who love jokes, true stories, and motivations should get this book. It is a nice, relaxing book with sweet stories that will surely comfort anyone who reads it.

There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The City Of Mirrors
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Onward to Kolmothra Volume One by Brian Warf

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Thank you for this amazing review! I was so curious to find out the explanation for the name of the book! The books seems original and entertaining, so kudos tot he author.
RayRuff
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayruff.html
Latest Review: Twilight of Innocence by I R Craig

Post by RayRuff »

Oh! I noticed this as BOTD the other day! The name of the book is hilarious! But, I guess it is a bit more serious. I also thought it was a children's book. Thank you for the review!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Vacuuming is Just Indoor Mowing by Eric Brunson

Post by MsH2k »

Thank you for explaining how this book got its title! I enjoyed your honest take on this read.
"Always be a first-rate version of yourself instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."
Judy Garland
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: There’s a Hero in my Home by Stephanie Alexandra

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for a well-detailed review. This book seems to be a fun read filled with humour.
smolbird
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Where the spirit leads by Samuel Pardew
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

While I like that the author turns aspects of her life to lessons, I think she may have overdone it at some point, especially about what you said about the rooster in her bathroom. I thought that the title was catchy and cute, but very misleading. Thank you for the great review! I enjoyed reading it. :)
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: The Leading Man by Stephen J. Blakesley

Post by SamaylaM »

Indeed, even I thought this would be a children's book! It's good to see your honest take on this book because it cleared some of my assumptions and I hope to read it someday. Thanks for a great review!
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Truth has arrived by Steven Randolph

Post by Marcel Cantu »

At first glance I thought it was a children’s book as well! It sounds like a unique story. I enjoyed reading your review.
63tty
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Tales of the 70's
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

Wow, such a detailed review. I feel like I have read the book already. I really want to read this book. Thanks for the info. Now I know what to expect.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Ivona R
Currently Reading: Clean Water for Developing Countries
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivona-r.html
Latest Review: Restore Trust by Werner NEFF

Post by Ivona R »

I also thought it was a children's book at first. I guess the title of the book could be different. Thanks for your honest review, I enjoy reading detailed and honest reviews.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Ivona R wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 02:09 I also thought it was a children's book at first. I guess the title of the book could be different. Thanks for your honest review, I enjoy reading detailed and honest reviews.
Right! I am glad you enjoyed reading my review. Thank you for stopping by.
63tty wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 22:27 Wow, such a detailed review. I feel like I have read the book already. I really want to read this book. Thanks for the info. Now I know what to expect.
Thank you very much.
Marcel Cantu wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 08:04 At first glance I thought it was a children’s book as well! It sounds like a unique story. I enjoyed reading your review.
The title and cover is so misleading, I give it that! Thank you very much.
SamaylaM wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 06:47 Indeed, even I thought this would be a children's book! It's good to see your honest take on this book because it cleared some of my assumptions and I hope to read it someday. Thanks for a great review!
I appreciate you stopping by and leaving a comment.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:

Post by Mtibza eM »

smolbird wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 03:26 While I like that the author turns aspects of her life to lessons, I think she may have overdone it at some point, especially about what you said about the rooster in her bathroom. I thought that the title was catchy and cute, but very misleading. Thank you for the great review! I enjoyed reading it. :)
Yes, she has really overdone it, I agree with you. Thank you for your kind words and taking time to read and comment. Really appreciate it.
Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 03:04 Thanks for a well-detailed review. This book seems to be a fun read filled with humour.
Thank you very much.
MsH2k wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 01:06 Thank you for explaining how this book got its title! I enjoyed your honest take on this read.
You are welcome. :tiphat:
RayRuff wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 12:00 Oh! I noticed this as BOTD the other day! The name of the book is hilarious! But, I guess it is a bit more serious. I also thought it was a children's book. Thank you for the review!
It is also a book of the month! That is what made me to pick it.
raluca_mihaila wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 08:31 Thank you for this amazing review! I was so curious to find out the explanation for the name of the book! The books seems original and entertaining, so kudos tot he author.
It is. Thank you for leaving a comment.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Dimi1 »

I like it when the book has humorous content. I was intrigued to have a look at the book by its title; it seems quite imaginative. Thank you for the insight. It further adds to my predisposition that I am gonna like this book despite the cliches and simplifications spotted!
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Yvonne Monique »

It's a shame to read that the title is intented as clickbait. I hoped it had some real significance for the story. Congratulations for a great review!
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Keeper of the Aged by Robin C Harville
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

The book's title already points to the author's rich sense of humor. I look forward to reading this title. Thanks a lot for the insightful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”