Review by Sres0 -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sres0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sres0.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Sres0 -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sres0 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla is a touching novel that explores the lives of three different women in Cambridge, MA, through 1999 and 2000. Here, Jeannie Nicholas does a beautiful job of bringing complex characters to life and forcing them to grow and change their ways in an unfair world.

Using different points of view, the book narrates the lives of Kalayla, Maureen, and Lena, three women that found a family while dealing with their issues and leaving the past behind. 11-year-old Kalayla is a black teenage rebel with an attitude, who, having lost her dad, lives with her mom, Maureen. Maureen has Irish heritage and was disowned by her own family for marrying a black man, though that's not what she told her daughter. Finally, 72-year-old Lena, a mourning mother, lost contact with two of her sons and had her other two killed in Vietnam, all the while putting up with traumatic memories of her dead husband.

While surviving, Kalayla finds in Lena someone to talk to, Maureen finds in her someone trustworthy, and Lena finds in them unconditional company. After living through certain stages, the three women grow and confront their pasts, taking a loving approach towards those who wronged them before so that they could eventually move on.

Regarding profanities, you'll notice that Kalayla has its fair share. Here, the use of obscenities (or the lack of them) emphasizes the depth of each individual personality. On the other hand, the sexual content is not outstanding. Thankfully, even though there are instances of sexual harassment, Jeannie doesn't make them very explicit.

While I believe the message behind Kalayla is powerful, make sure that you won't be triggered by content like racism and/or sexual harassment. Other than that, I think everyone can benefit from reading this book. Through it all, the three women find comfort in each other—even if they can't stand themselves sometimes—and they learn that chosen family can be just as strong as a family bound by blood. Further yet, they gave their respective families a second chance either by forgiving them or by deciding to be more present, becoming examples of true courage. So, if you're looking for a deep story that delves into the rawness of human life, you should read Kalayla. If you're not into reading about everyday life issues, maybe this isn't your book.

That said, I believe Jeannie skillfully designed this narrative to explore all these characters and personal stories so that any reader can relate to something or someone. The characters felt so authentic that they almost drove me crazy—Kalayla with her tantrums, Maureen with her insecurity, and Lena with her pity party—but each phase was a fundamental part of the character's arc. I loved that the message is hopeful, and while I know it isn't always the case, it's nice to read it and connect with it. Now, I found a few misplaced or missing commas, but it didn't affect my reading experience in the least. All in all, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

It's true this book is all too informative as you've said because I read and reviewed it too. Nice review!
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I read this book and enjoyed it too. Thank you for your thorough review! :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Beautiful review, thank you so much. I loved this book too!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Bradley Shelvie
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

I read the book too and it was fantastic. Wonderful job with your review here!
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”