Review by Malve -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Review by Malve -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

Post by Malve »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book and at the same time the introduction of a fantasy book series. A complex world called Voulhire with its secrets and mystical events related to witchcraft and magic is presented. The story begins with Galen leaving his war-torn homeland to take over his uncle's property in Voulhire. To be more precise, Magnum Caelum. It’s a district in Voulhire. Together with Galen, the reader learns more and more about the country's past and secrets. At the same time, however, dangers that threaten citizens are exposed.

I loved the way the plot was portrayed. The author has a remarkable way of portraying events as if you were part of them yourself. The writing style creates a vivid picture in the reader’s mind. I quickly felt connected to the story and the characters, and I was constantly thrilled to learn about new things related to Voulhire and Galen.

Overall, what I liked best was the humor in the book. It made the story very balanced and eased the tension. The humor was in the most impossible places. I often found myself chuckling and shaking my head. I only know a few authors who can write with such a real humor.

As an introduction to a new book series, the first volume has definitely served its purpose. The country Voulhire has continued to develop and unfold. Unfortunately, many people and places were listed at once. I quickly lost track of things. This confusion made me reread some passages to know who the author is talking about.

The constant change of perspective struck me negatively several times. On the one hand, this gave a lot of impressions and generally a good overview. On the other hand, it often disappointed me. I was so captivated by some events that it really annoyed me not to be able to learn more just because the perspective changed. However, I don't really want to criticize this. It felt like it was just a feature of the book that was supposed to make it special. In that case it was definitely interesting to experience a story like this.

In summary, I rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. At this point I really have to re-emphasize the excellent sense of humor. The story is well edited and no logic errors occurred. The only exception are spelling mistakes. However, they didn't really bother me.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes reading complex fantasy books. The story is definitely not simple and leaves many questions unanswered. I conclude that the author has something in store for the next books.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Noriel DM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noriel-dm.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Post by Noriel DM »

This is a great story and I enjoyed your review.
We are all unique in our own ways :D
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

This series is great, if you liked this, you'll definitely enjoy the next ones, though the second book wasn't really my favorite. Thanks for the incredible review.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

This series' plot and writing style are definitely intriguing. Some of the books keep me on the edge of my seat, and I was quite eager to read the sequels as fast as I could.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

This fantasy book was something I really enjoyed as well. I do agree that there were lots of switches in POVs and took time for me to get used to a new scenario. Thanks for a good and honest review!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I really like this book and was glad to see another review on it! I do hope you continue their adventure! Great review!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I really enjoyed reading this book as Tysz's writing style paints a vivid world. I do agree that it can be annoying that you can't learn more because of the shift in perspectives, but it's vital to the story-telling. I enjoyed reading your review, and I'm eager to read your next one!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Having read this book, I agree with most of your comments about it. Good job on this detailed and honest review.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I can see how the sudden and numerous changes of perspective might be disorienting. I had not thought of that before. Thanks for your honest review, you made a good point.
John Owen
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

It's true the book is written in multiple perspectives, two to be precise, third person and first person. However, it is first person only when it speaks about Galen Bray. I also read and reviewed this book and it's a great read. I know you might be anticipating the second. Informative review!
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I enjoyed reading this book too. Great review!
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I agree with your take on the humorous parts and the unanswered questions.
The funny parts made some characters more endearing.
Thanks for the review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”