Review by Petruschka1 -- Watchwords (black and white)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Petruschka1
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Review by Petruschka1 -- Watchwords (black and white)

Post by Petruschka1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Watchwords (black and white)" by Philip Neal Gatter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter is a collection of sixteen short stories. Some of the narratives are based on the author's experiences. Other stories originate from his imagination or dreams. Each story is inspired by a watch, and the timepiece is linked to the storyline. The author reflects on a variety of concepts like homosexuality, transgender, alcohol and drug abuse, loneliness and dementia. Some stories recount war experiences and show the effects of war on the protagonists.

The first story describes a day at the seaside and looks at autism and depression. The landscape and its birds come alive on the pages. I could easily imagine being myself at the British coast. The next two stories relate to the author's work as a psychotherapist and counsellor. This is followed in due course by stories about the First World War and about watchmaking. There are more stories taking place during the author's holidays or during his work in Great Britain and abroad. Two more narratives respectively touch on English boarding school life and on student life.

The positive aspects of Watchwords are the manifold themes and settings covered. The characters in the different stories are well developed. I easily managed to put myself in their shoes while reading. The author is educated and well-spoken. He treats topics like homosexuality, abuse, disease and bereavement with understanding and respect. I also like the contents table and the prologue at the beginning of the book. The prologue gives a glimpse of the author's life and of the anthology's origin. Each short story stands on its own feet. They are connected by the writer's experiences and the photographs of wristwatches above them. Apart from enjoying the stories, I have learnt something about the history of watches. Besides the book is edited professionally. There are hardly any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors.

I was slightly taken aback by the amount of swear words and explicit sex scenes in some short stories. But other than that, I cannot find any negative aspects about this publication. The stories are informative, interesting and a delight to read.

After careful consideration I rate Watchwords by Philip Neal Gatter 4 out of 4 stars . Although I personally do not like profane language and too explicit sex scenes, they are an integral part of some of these narratives. For all the aforementioned reasons, I am happy to give the highest rating to this book.

I recommend these short stories to mature adults only. Readers interested in concepts like homosexuality, alcohol and drug abuse and in war stories will enjoy reading them. Professionals involved in psychiatry, psychotherapy and counselling might also benefit from the book.

Watchwords (black and white)
View: on Bookshelves
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Truth has arrived by Steven Randolph

Post by Marcel Cantu »

I love books that are collections of short stories m, especially ones that can pull of the genre well. I like that it addresses a multitude of themes and transports the readers into the stories. Thank you for your review i enjoyed reading it.
Petruschka1

Post by Petruschka1 »

Marcel Cantu wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 16:20 I love books that are collections of short stories m, especially ones that can pull of the genre well. I like that it addresses a multitude of themes and transports the readers into the stories. Thank you for your review i enjoyed reading it.
Thank you for reading my review.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Dimi1 »

Your review makes me wanna have a look at the book. I pretty much enjoy short stories since they seem fitting for any casual reader trying to find some time per day to read a good story. Thanks for a great review!
Petruschka1

Post by Petruschka1 »

Dimi1 wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 14:12 Your review makes me wanna have a look at the book. I pretty much enjoy short stories since they seem fitting for any casual reader trying to find some time per day to read a good story. Thanks for a great review!
I hope, you will enjoy the book. Thank you!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by markodim721 »

I like the way the author has dealt with very sensitive but current topics. Thanks for the good review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”