Review by shravsi -- The Biblical Clock

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Namesake
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Becoming Rosie: Memoir of a Groupie by Christine Fowler

Review by shravsi -- The Biblical Clock

Post by shravsi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Creationists and evolutionists are like oil and water; it’s hard to combine them together. Daniel Friedmann intends to do that by using his Inspired Studies series as an emulsifier. The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s plan is the fourth book produced in this mammoth task. Daniel along with Dania Sheldon demonstrates how Genesis and theories of evolution can go parallel with each other.

According to the biblical scriptures, the earth is around 6000 years old and our scientists say the universe is 13.8 billion years old. The discrepancy is huge. Based on various scriptures of Judaism, Daniel is able to calculate mathematically that the biblical timeline matches the scientific evolution timeline. He can do this by understanding the actual length of the genesis. Was each day similar in length to our human day, or is god’s day entirely different? Daniel backs his argument with important works by various people such as Rabbi Isaac Luria and Isaac Ben Samuel. Some of these sources date as far back as the year 1060!

While the first part of the book deals with the origin, the second part tries to delve into the probable end of days. Only after the end of days, this world will turn into a suitable place for the lord. Daniel explains that throughout history, we have missed reaching the end of days in a recurring pattern. He also creates a scenario about how the next end of days might happen. The third part is about how did this happen? The creation of the universe, Adam’s sin and its repercussions, and how to rectify everything. I have glossed over many key concepts in my explanation because the information in this book is vast.

I was impressed by the number of sources Daniel has researched for his book. The narrative style makes reading this book a little easier; otherwise, it would have felt like reading a research paper. Conversations with his cousin Seb were a welcome break from the monotony. The maps, charts, and historic stories helped a lot. I am most indebted to hyperlinks, without which I would have given up this book in the middle. I could feel Daniel’s passion through his words. I liked the part about Daniel’s role in the Hubble telescope. Sir Isaac Newton’s appearance was a surprise; I did not know these details about him until now.

The story jumped from one time period to another erratically. While I am glad the author could match the biblical timeline to the current scientific data, it was calculated with some tweaking (e.g., counting/not counting the whole six creation days). Most of all, the chapter about Daniel’s version of End of Days let down this entire book for me. This book is supposed to be non-fiction. The contrast between the well-researched first part and the fictitious second part was clear.

I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars for the above-mentioned reasons. I found only two minor typos, so I will say this book is sufficiently well-edited. There was no profanity or vulgarity. Although I didn’t have any in-depth knowledge about Judaism, I could understand this book with the help of the glossary.

Who is this book for? Readers who are open-minded creationists/ evolutionists, or interested in reading books that try to reconcile science and religion. Readers who believe in evolution theory but are also open to the idea of some mysterious high power and readers who are religious but, agree with scientific theories.

Important things to should keep in mind before picking this book: the author might be a scientist but, this book is written from a creationist’s perspective. The book is based on Jewish concepts such as Kabbalah and books related to Judaism. Not based on Christian scriptures. If you are a hardcore creationist or an evolutionist, you will be sorely disappointed. Just consider this book as a small bridge between scriptures and science.

The Biblical Clock
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The City Of Mirrors
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by raluca_mihaila »

The author has an interesting approach, but I thought he was biased and I was not 100% convinced by his theories. Congratulations for this thorough review!
smolbird
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: The Chance by Bruce M Baker
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

Although I am a Christian, I'm more of an evolutionist. To be honest, I can't understand why there's such friction between these two ideas. In my opinion, science and religion can coexist with one another. Anyway, thank you for the great review! :)
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Mtibza eM
2021 Reading Goal: 66
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Silent Lee and the Adventure of the Side Door Key
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom! by Trish Ostroski

Post by Mtibza eM »

Your review is through and honest. I have read this book myself and you have mentioned things I have missed from the book. Thank you for sharing.
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by MarianaFigueira »

Thanks for the detailed review. I read a different book from this author, and I had a similar issue with it, despite he tries to stay in the middle ground, it's easy to see what he believes in. I wished he was more objective.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Vacuuming is Just Indoor Mowing
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The shine by Keith Edwards

Post by MsH2k »

It’s interesting that my favorite part (End of Days theoretical scenario) was what you Iiked least—I guess it just depends on what you are expecting from the book. Thank you for your thorough, excellent review!
"Always be a first-rate version of yourself instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."
Judy Garland
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: 10 spiritual little nuggets in business by Irene jones

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This seems like a unique book. It covers many ideas and I think it is definitely good they are able to use a style that is compelling and not just informative. Great work.
Chizioboli
2021 Reading Goal: 58
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Evan and Friends Meet the Pirates by Chris Williams

Post by Chizioboli »

An interesting and well articulated review you did here. Good job.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”