Review by sssns -- Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sssns
Currently Reading: Final Act
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Review by sssns -- Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the ...

Post by sssns »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol" by J.L. Haynes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The mission codename is The Painted Symbol, and Zara Hanson is specifically hand-picked for this top-secret operation. A new-being possessing exceptional abilities teams-up with her. The adventure takes them to different places, galaxies, and dimensions. They encounter unusual creatures, some benevolent, while others are not. Zara learns new abilities and gains knowledge about the universe. The journey leads to the discovery of herself, her family, and her past. But the ultimate realization is the mystery that links her to the mission.

Zara Hanson & the Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes is a science fiction fantasy novel. It draws inspiration from familiar and unexplained topics about legends, mythology, religion, science, and spirituality. There are references to the Golden Fleece, the story of Jonah and the whale, ancient aliens, Area 51, pyramid at Alaska, nanotechnology, quantum dice, meditation, and reincarnation. It is remarkable how the author creatively weaves these ideas into a cohesive story. The approach gives a fresh take on the usual saving-the-humanity plot of this genre.

The story is action-packed and fast-paced. The adventure takes the team to different locations, so there is not much focus on worldbuilding. But the descriptions of the settings engage the senses. For instance, it describes how the walls of the spaceship change to show the view outside. Also, some scenes use music to set the mood of the characters. Zara has a background song to calm her mind while learning to fly the spacecraft. Likewise, there is a creature that only fights if music is playing. The music gives a cinematic feel which is what I like best in the book.

The novel is replete with a cast of complex and well-developed characters. There is a diversity of creatures in the story. There are giants, cat-like beings, space leviathans, mechanical pets, and other sentient beings in different forms and sizes. The physical appearances are vivid, and the characteristics show in their interactions with one another. For example, there is a vivid description of the eye color, hairstyle, and costume of Zara. Her inquisitive nature surfaces when she encounters a new idea during a discussion. Also, the characters each have extraordinary abilities, but they have limitations. Their combined skills let them surpass tight situations. Zara may not have the same fighting skills as her teammates, but she can smoothly solve riddles. It shows how the story also touches on the value of teamwork.

The use of language adds identity to the characters. Some casts have distinct expressions. Phrases like “we try” or “frak” give a clue on which character is speaking. Interestingly, a giant that does not talk uses body language like clasping her hands or changing her skin color to communicate. Humans use conversational language while other beings sound more formal. There are new words introduced in the story as part of the worldbuilding. Some are long and similar-sounding, which makes them a bit challenging to remember. The narrative provides explanations, but a glossary will be a helpful reference to jog the memory.

Although a future mission hints at a possible sequel, the story closes without cliffhangers. However, throughout the story, there are references to past events. For example, a fighting strategy uses a game previously played by the characters. The game needs more background information to make it more relatable. It seems like there is a prequel, and backstories are not present. It is what I dislike the most.

Except for the first chapter that uses more complex words and sentence structure, the story is easy to follow because of the simple words. Touches of humor balance the philosophical discussions. There are a few borderline profanities. Erotic contents are null, and fight scenes are not gory and violent. The content is inoffensive to any religious group. The book has something for both the young and old. The adventure and fantasy appeal to the young readers of 16 years old and above, while the philosophical discussions are for the mature audience. This book is for those interested in science fiction, fantasy, legends, mythology, philosophy, and spirituality.

The thought-provoking book inspires a rediscovery of the topics covered in the story. However, I have to drop a star. Although not distracting, the editing issues are beyond the count to give the highest rating. That said, I gladly give 3 out of 4 stars.

Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The City Of Mirrors
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by raluca_mihaila »

We try! :) Your observations regarding the book are very interesting. I liked it a lot, despite the rough start. Great job with the review!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Dimension by Gordon Wesley Simmons

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. This story seems to contain a lot of intriguing concepts and information, and it is a nice mixture between them. I think I would enjoy the futuristic and sci-fi aspects.
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: To Tell A Tale by Griffin D. H. Murphy

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This is not really my kind of book but it sounds interesting with its well fellows characters and action packed story telling. Thank you for your insightful review!
sssns

Post by sssns »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 08:26 We try! :) Your observations regarding the book are very interesting. I liked it a lot, despite the rough start. Great job with the review!
True. I agree with the start chapter. But we try! :) Thanks for stopping by.
sssns

Post by sssns »

Sou Hi wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 21:20 Thanks for your interesting review. This story seems to contain a lot of intriguing concepts and information, and it is a nice mixture between them. I think I would enjoy the futuristic and sci-fi aspects.
The concept about ancient aliens intrigued me the most. Thanks for the comment :)
sssns

Post by sssns »

Marcel Cantu wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 16:15 This is not really my kind of book but it sounds interesting with its well fellows characters and action packed story telling. Thank you for your insightful review!
Thanks for stopping by :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”