Review by Nisha Ward -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Beyond Paris by Paul Alexander Casper
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Review by Nisha Ward -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat

Post by Nisha Ward »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When young Ned and Boss the rottweiler face trouble at home, can Inca and her family solve the case? And what of Solo’s friend, Raoul? Will he be okay?

These are the main questions presented to us in the fifth book of the Inca Cat Detective series, Diary of a Snoopy Cat. When detective and family friend Solo goes off to the Himalayas to find his friend, Raoul, Inca and her family are left on their own in a neighbourhood that needs their help. Ned, a young man and resident of the area, is about to face eviction and separation from his rottweiler, Boss.

Can Inca and her family save the day? Or will the Stinky Porkster manage to throw Ned out before they can do anything?

This is the fifth book in the series and the third book that I’ve read. Going in reverse order, it’s easy to see how much the author, R. F. Kristi, has improved in the time she’s had to write these books, and it’s not like they need much improvement to begin with.

I liked Inca’s personality the most in this book. Unlike the other entries I’ve read, this one focused on her the most and how she came to be involved in Boss’ case, much less solved it. It was a great highlight into her inquisitive nature and funnily enough, her selfish streak that we didn’t get to see in the others.

Furthermore, I really liked just how much thought went into the actual mystery and how it would get solved. It’s clear that it had to be kept simple for the medium, but simplicity doesn’t mean that it was dumbed down. Rather, it was more fun and action-packed, while still being understandable for the average child.

However, I didn’t really like the art in this one. I’m not sure if it’s because of the copy I had or if this was in the actual book, but the artwork seemed compressed and not on par with the other books.

Coupled together with the numerous errors, this prevented me from giving the book a full rating for all the things I did like. As such, I’m giving it 3 out of 4 stars and a recommendation to young children who are moving on to chapter books. It’s a good place to start.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”