Review by Smmwallace -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Smmwallace
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Bird in a Snare by N.L. Holmes

Review by Smmwallace -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

Post by Smmwallace »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz is the second book in the fantasy series set in the kingdom of Voulhire. This installment focuses on the industrial city of Virko and the governing changes that are happening there. The Lord of Virko has sent a highly unusual and insistent request to King Wilhelm, the sovereign of Voulhire. The proposal is to cease noble sovereignty in the city of Virko and replace it with a group of civilians, business owners, investors, and bankers. Ever the accommodating and fair king, Wilhelm grants this request and unknowingly places Virko into nefarious and greedy hands.

We meet up again with our friends Galen, Rowan and Demetrius from the first book. Having arrived in Virko to claim some steel for Galen’s hometown of Magnum Caelum, the friends are unknowingly about to be thrust into the chaos that's brewing. Demetrius, who's a monk and imbuer for the Eiodi, grew up in Virko, senses malicious darkness overlaying the city.

Meldorath and Folcro also continue in this book, meaning no one is safe. Evil from everywhere is bearing down on the unsuspecting people of Virko. What follows is not only a terrifying and horrific fight for control of this industrial metropolis but maybe all of Voulhire.

I very much enjoyed this book. It was much grittier and darker than the first one so I felt it paired well not only with the backstory of Virko but vibed with the Gothic architecture and characteristics of the city and its people. We were introduced to some exciting new characters, both protagonists and antagonists, Lord Kayden being one. His character was so tortured, not being able to live the life he wished for. Nonetheless, he tried to live the life expected of him with much aplomb and I found myself rooting for him. We also get to know and appreciate the character Eiodi Gadesh, the head of the holy church. What a fantastic character, he brought some virtue and lightness to the book that balanced well with the evil and immoral attitudes of other characters.

I found the character development for the main players well done and the background story of Virko effectively explained. Matthew Tysz has become one of my favorite new authors and I can't wait to read the next book in the series to see where he goes with this. It appears to be professionally edited as I didn't perceive any errors. I liked everything about this book, therefore I'm rating it 4 out of 4 stars.

This book is for readers who relish fantasy with plenty of action and sorcery. I suggest reading the first book in the series so you have a basic understanding of the storyline, places, and characters. This book is darker than the first novel so sensitive readers need to take heed. Along with blood and gore, there is depraved behavior by some characters.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
63tty
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Tales of the 70's
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I have to say, I have read the first book in the aeries, yet to read this and you have given a great summary that makes me want to read it already.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
lumenchristi
2021 Reading Goal: 2
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lumenchristi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by lumenchristi »

This is a nice review and I must agree with you, it is darker than the first series.
Smmwallace

Post by Smmwallace »

63tty wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 16:37 I have to say, I have read the first book in the aeries, yet to read this and you have given a great summary that makes me want to read it already.
When you do, you won't be disappointed! Thank you for leaving a comment. I appreciate it!
:tiphat:
Smmwallace

Post by Smmwallace »

lumenchristi wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 19:18 This is a nice review and I must agree with you, it is darker than the first series.
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!
Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Slater678 »

Great review. I hope the transition from lordship to civilian rule in this town of Virko will work.
Smmwallace

Post by Smmwallace »

Slater678 wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 03:48 Great review. I hope the transition from lordship to civilian rule in this town of Virko will work.
Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it!
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: Trigger Warning by Charlie Hayden Hicks

Post by MarianaFigueira »

Incredible review. Matthew Tysz's writing is something else, though out of all of the books in the series, this one has been my least favorite one.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: The Leading Man by Stephen J. Blakesley

Post by SamaylaM »

I've read the first book of the series and wow, got to love your mention of how it gets darker with each book! Your review is written in so much detail, I could visualize some aspects. Thanks for such wonderful work!
Smmwallace

Post by Smmwallace »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 14:22 Incredible review. Matthew Tysz's writing is something else, though out of all of the books in the series, this one has been my least favorite one.
Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. I appreciate it!
Smmwallace

Post by Smmwallace »

SamaylaM wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 22:17 I've read the first book of the series and wow, got to love your mention of how it gets darker with each book! Your review is written in so much detail, I could visualize some aspects. Thanks for such wonderful work!
Thank you for your kind words! Thanks for taking the time to stop by.
RayRuff
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayruff.html
Latest Review: Twilight of Innocence by I R Craig

Post by RayRuff »

I love how dark this book was! Great review, I am looking forward to your reviews on the following few books.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
zainherb
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by zainherb »

I enjoyed the book too, but not as much as the other ones in the series.

Great review. Well done!
:techie-reference:
Josephe-Anne
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading: A Sliver of a Chance
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I also read this book, and I agree that is much darker than the first. In fact, it was a bit too gory for my taste. Apart from the bloody scenes, this was a very entertaining novel with many multifaceted characters.

I thoroughly enjoyed your review! Keep up the great work!
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Smmwallace

Post by Smmwallace »

RayRuff wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 03:32 I love how dark this book was! Great review, I am looking forward to your reviews on the following few books.
I loved how dark this book was also! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”