Review by Ashley-Osuna -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Ashley-Osuna -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of ...

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galen Bray is getting used to his life in Magun Caelum, where he is currently learning the art of being a blacksmith. When an opportunity that will be beneficial for his town arrives, Galen does not doubt to take it up. So, Galen and his friends, Rowan and Demetrius, embark on an adventure to Virko to seek said opportunity. All they have to do is talk to the sickly lord Venden, the lord of Virko. What they do not expect, however, is the darkness that they find in the city.

Lord Venden seeks to end noble sovereignty in the city of Virko and transition instead to a chamber of bankers, investors, and business owners. This change would mean that his title would no longer mean anything more than just that, a title. Lord Hans Hrelek, lord Venden's son, is not happy with this change. The young lord is watching the power slip through his fingers, but he has a plan. His plan is dark and will affect the lives of many, including those of Galen, Rowan, and Demetrius.

Meanwhile, Meldorath is lurking in the shadows, trying to devise a plan to go out into the world again. He is hungry for power and freedom from his hiding; will his plan succeed?

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko, by Matthew Tysz, is the second book in the We are Voulhire series. The book belongs to the genre of fiction and narrates different events happening in the kingdom of Voulhire. We can see how the characters and relationships from the previous book further develop and evolve.

One of my favorite things about this book is the change in perspectives in every chapter. The changes in points of view were also present in the first book, so I assume the rest of the series will also have this element. I believe that reading from different characters' perspectives makes the reading even more dynamic and exciting. However, I have read other books where the changes in points of view were confusing, but Matthew Tysz does a great job writing from different perspectives. At no point are the variations of characters' points of view confusing; it is always clear from whose perspective we are reading.

There is nothing in this book that I dislike. Nonetheless, there is a lack of something that I do not necessarily appreciate: female characters. There are only a few female characters mentioned throughout the book. Sadly, these female characters are not essential or relevant to the plot.

I am awarding We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko a 4 out of 4 stars. The story was fast-paced, and the characters introduced in the first book further develop as the story progresses. Apart from the lack of female representation (which is personal preference), there was nothing that I particularly disliked, which is why I decided to give it an excellent rating.

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy fiction and lengthier series. Plus, I would recommend it to a more mature audience. There are some gruesome details of violence and murder; there are also sexual innuendos and mentions of rape.

Finally, I would consider this book to be professionally edited as I only found one error. The fact that there were essentially no mistakes only made my reading experience more enjoyable.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”